ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

20 Questions (well not quite)

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2001, 11:51 AM
RUSure
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

So, after wanting a scooby for 4 years my company is letting me opt out of the company car scheme. I looked at the new MY01 turbo saloon at the weekend and have a few questions that I am sure you will be able to help me out with:

They have what looks like a double DIN size head unit in the dash, if I take this out does it reveal 2 normal DIN slots or do I have to do some mods?
What size speakers will fit in the holes in the back and front doors?
Where is a good location for the front AMP (under the seat)?
Has anyone put speakers in the rear parcel shelf? Did you replace the shelf or reinforce it etc?
Has anyone fitted a VDO Dayton MS5000 Nav system in one ? Where did the display look good?
What are the differences between the 21K UK version and a 17K European import?
Has anyone had a particularly good experience importing one and with which company?
Is there a sub which sounds great in the boot and doesn't take up too much space?
Old 13 August 2001, 03:50 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Imports the same except one year rather than 3 year warranty, foreign service book, UK dealer may be stuffy with you, you have to pay for 1000 mile service. Possibly lower residuals, occ insurance hassles, usually no locking wheel nuts/Cat 1 alarm or sticker on the back. But don't let all that put you off. I used alliancecarimports.co.uk and would recommend them.

Front speakers are 6-6.5". Infinity 605CS £93 are good esp with an amp which can go under the seat if it fits - most put it in the boot. Don't bother with changing or amping the factory rears - see previous posts for explanation. You need about 10% of the power to the rears as you do to the front - off the headunit is ideal. You don't want lots of power behind you it sounds rubbish and you don't need it if you have a sub. Subs - you have to decide whether you want sealed, ported or bandpass- 1st for small enclosure and good quality, second for low freq extension and volume but bigger enclosure, third for volume (lots), reasonable space and LF extension if design is good. I have the latter and it rocks and is good quality.