New kit

Search this Thread

Old 24 July 2001, 02:38 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Hey,

Just took a trip down Tottenham Court Road, I can't find any Infinity 605cs's but I had a listen to some Focal 165Hs, compared to the Kappas I looked at as well they sounded much brighter, but it wasn't with my amp. Does anyone here own a set of Focal 165Hs? I also looked at an amp to power my sub, a Rockford Fosgate Punch 160.2 for £250. Anyone have any thoughts on these before I buy?

Cheers,
Steve.
Old 24 July 2001, 05:12 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I'm sure that RF amp would be delicious. What sub do you have?

Re the Focals, some people think the Infinity Reference/Kappas are too bright and find the tweeters overbearing. I quite like the treble from these esp allied to a sub - it seems smoother and less harsh than some others - the tweeters have silk domes which sound softer than some titanium domes. Can depend on your music preferences. Also where did you listen to them - was it on a shop display or in a car? Must really compare like with like. May be well worth a try. How much were they?

This is what I found spec wise:
Focal 165H

6 1/2" 2-way Component Speaker System.

165mm (6-1/2") midbass
25mm (1") v.coil
85mm (3-3/8") magnet
TN 45 tweeter
Separate high-pass crossover 12dB/oct. (4kHz)
Max. power handling: 140W
Nominal power handling: 70W
Sensitivity (2.8 V/1m): 92.5dB
Frequency response: 60Hz-20kHz.
MSRP: $292.00/set

Sound like they are in rather a higher price bracket to the 605CS, but similar to Kappas. Sensitivity is similar - rated power handling a little less. Impossible to say much more without finding any reviews. Could be a nice choice - check the mounting depth though - may well need an MDF spacer for them to fit in factory position.

Note that sensitivity quoted at 2.83V/m is 3dB higher than figures quoted at 1dB/W/m (2.83V at 4 ohm is 2 watts). Infinity do this as well.
Old 24 July 2001, 05:44 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by john banks:
I'm sure that RF amp would be delicious. What sub do you have?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a 10" Infinity in a ported box. I don't know what model it is, the guy in the shop reckons it's a Perfect 10 but I only paid £200 for the sub in a box, so I doubt that. It's not a Kappa, it's white.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Re the Focals, some people think the Infinity Reference/Kappas are too bright and find the tweeters overbearing. I quite like the treble from these esp allied to a sub - it seems smoother and less harsh than some others - the tweeters have silk domes which sound softer than some titanium domes. Can depend on your music preferences. Also where did you listen to them - was it on a shop display or in a car? Must really compare like with like. May be well worth a try. How much were they?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I listened in the shop, which of course is a totally different kettle of fish.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>
This is what I found spec wise:
Focal 165H

6 1/2" 2-way Component Speaker System.

165mm (6-1/2") midbass
25mm (1") v.coil
85mm (3-3/8") magnet
TN 45 tweeter
Separate high-pass crossover 12dB/oct. (4kHz)
Max. power handling: 140W
Nominal power handling: 70W
Sensitivity (2.8 V/1m): 92.5dB
Frequency response: 60Hz-20kHz.
MSRP: $292.00/set

Sound like they are in rather a higher price bracket to the 605CS, but similar to Kappas. Sensitivity is similar - rated power handling a little less. Impossible to say much more without finding any reviews. Could be a nice choice - check the mounting depth though - may well need an MDF spacer for them to fit in factory position.

Note that sensitivity quoted at 2.83V/m is 3dB higher than figures quoted at 1dB/W/m (2.83V at 4 ohm is 2 watts). Infinity do this as well.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They're the ones. Think I'm looking at £150 for the pair, but I'll try and strike a deal with the guy tomorrow and see if I can get both together with a discount. I will need spacers, depth is 68mm (checked in the shop) but that's no big deal.

Steve.
Old 24 July 2001, 07:28 PM
Scooby Doc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steve

I am running 165K at the mo from the polykevlar range

I had Infintity kappas up fornt before but felt the lacked a little detail

Yes the focals are bright but very detailed and controlled

The Perfect 10s are white

Martin

It is so difficult to listen to the kit before you buy - the stands in shops are a waste of time in terms of determining what they will sound like in your own car with your own amp
Old 24 July 2001, 08:14 PM
Scooby Doc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rubbish

Perfect 10s are aluminium

The ones you are describing are the reference series

Martin
Old 25 July 2001, 01:25 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Question

Ok, just got the amp, due to the scooby being booked in for a service next week I'll wait until next month to get the speakers. Just had a thought though, am I going to be ok running two amps off of the battery? The engine is always on when I play music, the existing amp I have is a small (100W) Phoenix Gold.

Cheers,
Steve.
Old 25 July 2001, 01:43 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Yes.

Check fusing and gauge of wire with faq
Old 25 July 2001, 02:14 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

I grabbed the Rockford "power install kit" whilst I was in there, shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers,
Steve.