ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Restricting electric windows?

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2002, 08:38 PM
LeonWells
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I know this sounds strange! but is it possible to restrict how far the windows go down? I have some Huge Focal speakers that are amazing but wont fit because they are to deep, however I dont really want to ruin doors with builds or spend the 3/400 quid! so I measured it up and the windows go nearly all the way down! just wondered if it is possible to restrict how far they go rather than banging into speakers!

cheers

or if you think this is a stupid idea let me know! i can buy some more speakers that will fit but it seems stupid to spend £300 on some that will fit and they wont be as good as my focals the windows would basically go all the way down apart from a few inches, thought i could live with that.
Old 04 February 2002, 10:59 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Leon,

Push the speakers as far forward as you possibly can go and you may find that they fit. I have CD Technologies (Clif Designs) 6.5" mids in my doors and it took a 12mm spacer ring on top of the OEM pod to make them fit and have the window open!

The front of the speaker is still nowhere near the door card!

The focals are sweet - it's worth the hassle.

Nick.
Old 04 February 2002, 12:32 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Doesn't work (the pushing them forward) - I've got a pair & they're as far forward as they can go without the speaker hitting the card & the window STILL doesn't go down! I've done some cunning stuff with a bolt & a block of wood - after looking at the standard scoob way of stopping how far down the window goes (a lump of metal...) I though substituting my own would be OK The bolt is in place of one of the screws to hold the speaker on & the wood is there to support it from going down when the window hits it (braced against the inside door panel).
Fitting them is going to be easy compared to trying to jam a pair of 7" Dynaudios in - my job this weekend
Old 04 February 2002, 11:16 PM
LeonWells
Scooby Regular

Talking

Yeah I made some spaces out of MDF and they fitted perfect, the window went down a treat... but the bottom of the door card was touching the speaker so I didnt want to push it on.

A mate suggested placing a screw to stop the window so il have to look into that. Does your window really bang down onto this screw or is it a fairly smooth stop! and how far does the window actually go down? is it most of the way.

cheers.

Leon
Old 05 February 2002, 08:54 AM
nom
Scooby Senior

It goes down most of the way - I suppose 5cm left? And it does bang down, yes, but you'd never know! If you look at the window mechanism carefully, you'll see a bit of it (a clasp from what I remember) going up & down. On the back windows, this clasp simply hits a metal restraint & the window stops going down. It's just a case of doing the same thing in the front. My preference was to have the wood round the screw (well, bolt) as then then metal window clasp has something to hit that has a bit of give in it. It all depends what can be fitted in! Overall, this was much easier to do than stopping the window mechanism from unplugging the speakers when wound down!