Audio G Man - I'm having trouble!!!

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2002, 09:10 PM
Pierre T
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Sorry to bother you old chap.

I invested my money today, but its all gone a bit Pete Tong!

Let me start at the beginning:

I bought a load of sound deadening. £10 a roll in the sale. Not bad at all.

Fitted it fine without any problems. Was quite surprised.

Bought a Clarion Rad/Cas Shuttle package at a brilliant price(This years model too). Haven't tried installing it yet, but shouldn't be a problem.

Bought a pair of 6.5" Ground Zero component speakers.
Guy in the shop told me they should fit straight in without spacers and that they won't obstruct the window as they are narrower than the 605cs Infinitys.

Rubbish. Rubbish I tell you!!!

After having to drill screw holes in the door I found that they obstructed the windows. I will be out looking for a suitable spacer tomorrow. Failing that it will be MDF time with Lawrence from changing rooms.

Ok. The next problem was totally my fault for not paying enough attention to your advice. The guy in the shop (actually lots of guys in lots of shops) told me that 6.5" speakers would also fit in the back. I was keen on getting something half decent and managed to pick up a pair of Cerwin Vega coaxials for a decent price. Of course, they don't fit. Yes. It does serve me right.

Now I have to hope that he will take them back in exchange for the 10cm speakers that I should have got in the first place.

Anyway, the advice I am after is what to do about the front speakers.
Where will I find a spacer?
Are they easy to get hold of?
Will I have to modify it?
Will I need to get a JASO/ISO connector for the HU?
The guy in the shop reckoned that the cable between the HU and shuttle would be the same as the Phillips cable that is currently in there and that I wouldn't have to fit a new one. Is he lying to me? (I'm sure he knew his stuff and have bought from him before).

Sorry about having a moan, but even though I expected things to go wrong, it is still annoying. The rear speakers not fitting was just my stupidity. The windows catching the speakers was a real bitch (it was all going so swimmingly as well).

Would really appreciate some more advice.

Pierre

FAO Chiark (if you see this): Your fitting instructions were very useful. Thank you. The only thing I would add is that the plastic surround to the door handle pods has top and bottom clips. These prevent you from removing the door cards unless unclipped first.
The rear doors on the five door are the same.

Peace and love to all.
Old 27 January 2002, 12:20 AM
audio g man
Scooby Regular

Smile

Oh Mr. T

1, The original speakers should be fitted into plastic spacers/mountings. Remove the speaker itself from the plastic mounting and fit the mounting back onto the door. Then fit the new speaker into that. You may find that the mounting is not quite big enough for the new speaker. If that's the case, drill new holes into the plastic mounting to screw the new speakers in then wrap insulation tape or something similar around any gaps to seal it.
Keep replacing the door card to make sure it doesn't foul the new speaker.
Failing that try using Vauxhall Corsa front speaker adaptor/mountings made by Autoleads available from Halfords (stock item) or any Autoleads stockist. Take one of your new speakers along to the shop to try it out before you buy, (if you have to, that is).
I've never used these in an Impreza (only on Corsa's), but I've read on here that they do the job.
2, You say you have a Philips radio fitted in the car. The Philips radio uses ISO plugs so you'll find there is already a Subaru - ISO adaptor fitted.
3, I believe the Clarion and Philips bus-leads have the same Din plugs on the leads. Whether they are wired in the same way I don't know, so I would run in the supplied Clarion one just to be safe.

Hope this helps.

Old 27 January 2002, 08:57 AM
Pierre T
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Fantastic. Thank you. I am off down to Halfords now.

I will use the Clarion Lead to be safe.

Thanks again for the advice.

Pierre