Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Request for advice on full system install

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2002, 09:37 AM
Pierre T
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I occasionally read the posts on this part of the site, and am aware that this question has been asked 100 times before.
Therefore I apologise for not paying more attention, but now that I find myself in the position of needing a new system, I am determined to get the best install for my money.

I have an MY98 wagon.
I have £500 to spend.
I am looking for sound quality, not quantity.

Initially I was looking at a Clarion Rad/Cass with a 6 disk shuttle, MB Quart components in the front doors with crossover, and MB Quart coaxials in the rear doors.

My local Stereo place has reasonable prices, and will do me a free fit if I buy the lot from them.

Since speaking to them I have been looking at prices on the net.
I have seen some excellent deals on changer deals. It seems I could get a top of the range Kenwood for around £300 (the clarion was pretty basic and was £260).
The trouble is that I would then have to do the install myself, and I was hoping to have someone else do a nice job.

I've also started thinking about the possibility of soundproofing the doors to improve things as the scoob is pretty tinny.

Please advise me. Anything would be helpful. What to buy, where to buy, installers etc. My budget is fixed, and I want the best sound quality I can get.
Old 22 January 2002, 10:52 AM
nom
Scooby Senior

The fit is very important. If the place is just going to do a stick-it-in install, you may be better off doing the install yourself & going for the cheaper, better-quality stuff.
Sound-proofing is a very good idea. Aside from stopping the doors from sounding like a French car, by lowering the external noise, the internal noise doesn't need to be as high (obvious really I suppose...) to get the needed dynamic range, so less power is needed. Soundproofing is cheaper than the power. However, you do need quite a bit in the scoob...
It's worth trying to decide whether you actually need a disk changer, or if a single one in the dash will do the job, with one of those visor-mounted CD-holders (marvellous things!). A good way of saving money there!
My choice for a starter system would be a CD head-unit (choice is yours to which type!), 6" rather than 6.5" speakers (limits the choice somewhat; to my ears the JL audio co-ax jobbies are great as they are clear but forgiving, don't need too much power, have a good weight of sound behind them, & above all are good value - but whatever takes your fancy) - the 6" always fit in well whereas the 6.5" you have to choose carefully & may have to force in/build a bit, etc. Only do the front speakers for now. Then, Dynomat the front doors (bottom half, one sheet does both) & if you have a non-standard exhaust, another sheet in the boot.
See where that leaves you cash-wise. Next thing to get is an amp - any one will do virtually - a 20w external amp is so much better than a 40w internal one, for both power & quality. There's a 60W Genesis kicking about on the 'for sale' board for too little. This is a seriously good amp for the money. At this point, though, you also need to think about a power cable, earth cable & RCA, and will probably want to consider putting in new speakers cables. Not much fun, that bit!
I think this pretty much agrees with everyone else ideas as well that have been thrown about on the board, although personal preferences are obviously very important with sound. Unless you've heard other people's stuff so very much know what you want, make sure you're happy with wherever sells you the stuff. Nothing sounds the same in the car as it does in the shop & at that point you are at their mercy!

Edited to say I've just read the post a bit more carefully & definately good sound-proofing needed in the back for the wagon!

[Edited by nom - 1/22/2002 10:53:45 AM]
Old 22 January 2002, 11:11 AM
Pierre T
Scooby Newbie

Thank you. I will definitely go for the sound proofing.
Should I do all four doors? Should I do the base of the boot?

I really could do with the ability to play cassettes, as I have so many of them. Therefore the multi changer is a must.

I am a little reluctant to put in an amp due to the extra work, but am interested to hear of the improved sound quality from an external amp. I always thought people got them mainly for power.

I thought that decent modern head units had pretty good built in amps, but if you strongly recomment an external, then I'll have to look into that.

How do JL Audio compare to the likes of Alpine etc?

I've previously put Alpine or Infinity speakers in and have been recommended MB Quart as pretty good too.

Is it worth paying for an install? I've always done a DIY job in the past but thought it was worth paying for a professional job this time?
Old 22 January 2002, 11:35 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

I'm running MB quart's in the front and have found them to be very good.

Most impressive.
Old 22 January 2002, 11:45 AM
Luke
BANNED

Its my genesis for sale!!!

Buy it ,you will never regret it
Old 22 January 2002, 12:54 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Answering in order...
Soundproofing should be OK with just front doors & the base of the boot. The back doors help a little, but really you want the front doors done to stop them vibrating from the speakers which of course the backs don't have trouble with (this as well as keeping noise out - the lack of vibration allows the speakers to do their job in a more solid environment). In the boot 'cos the exhaust makes a hell of a racket

Missed the cassette bit Oops!

External amps - yes more power, but 'power means control' if you want the cheesy explanation. Treble is clearer, mid-range is smoother & the bass is tighter & faster, if you see what I mean. Effectively, the music can be listened to more quitely as the quality is better... sounds a little odd, but it's true! And modern head-units are a big improvement, but still not as good. Too much to cram into too little space, really. But the good thing about adding an amp is that it can be left until later. (Mind you, I've fitted a £40 kenwood amp into a 205 that got it's input from a walkman before - the owner was fed-up with getting the head-unit pinched all the time - and it sounded far better than the £200 head unit by itself did!).
Speakers - all much what you like & what you listen to. Personally, I don't like Alpine, etc. (including the very popular Infinities!), but that doesn't make them bad, just not to my taste. Very personal things, speakers! I don't think the favourite Infinity CS305s (is that the right ones?) are available any more? Anyone?? But they are easy to drive, appeal to nearly everyone except me & appear to be a good choice. MB Quart are very good too.

Go & listen.

If you know how to install, do it yourself! If the shop is a good one, it should be able to advise you of easy ways to get the old head-unit out, how to remove the door covers, etc. (not that you need to know if you go to Chiark's website), but also on stuff like, well, I think most of it you'll find here anyway
Old 23 January 2002, 04:11 PM
Blues
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I found when having the choice of cd's or tapes in a car I always went for the cd just for sound quality. No point buying decent speakers / amp and changing speaker cables just to listen to old creaky tapes . Just my opinion.

Currently I run those super light Kenwoods (purple colour) in the front and am reasonably happy with the sound. But I came to these from some 4 year old 6 1/2 Rockfords (couldn't fit in my Scoob)which were a class act. Forget the back doors and just run the standard speakers from the head unit. Waste of time upgrading them IMO. Get a decent amp and sub when funds allow and turn up the volume.

Good luck,

Blues.