Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Excellent sounding speakers that can take power?

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2001, 10:58 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any one know any good speakers that can take a fair bit of power - ie can take a 4 channel Genesis without blowing up

Is there anything that can take a fair bit of power and is fairly cheap?

Any recommendations? (looking at cd technologies - but expensive!)
Old 29 June 2001, 12:45 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

what are you trying to achieve?

what 4 channel genesis is it (can't remember). to do the genesis justice you'll need some decent quality speakers: its not all about power.....

having said that, the cd tech are nice, I personally like Dynaudio. Focal are also very musical....

having said all that, the most common cause of speakers going is not too much power but clipping. i've seen subs rated for 250w rms take 1kw without a problem but it was CLEAN power.
Old 29 June 2001, 01:32 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

steve,

wouldn't agree with kryten here, sorry mate.

love the dyns (almost my fave), but not quite so i gave them away.

For cost, and performance, it would have to be focal kx woofers. Have the x max of a sub, and I never got them to distort. trouble is tweeters and passives are a bit pants.

run actively with a decemt tweeter tehy can sound awesome but take some setting up.

Dont know if they do it anymore, but mb quart used to do a separately available 1 inch titanium tweeter. I prefer the smoothness of a silk dome, but these can take some real stick. Be warned they are harsh, but if you want to drive them hard they wont let you down.

Dyns, are super smooth, buit just never had the power handling.

the design of speaker of gorgeous, but I dont think they are too sensitive (iirc), meaning you could welll easily over drive them trying to get some volume out of them.

Also the internals of the huge (but light) passives are fragile.

My car came with jl audio components. Dont like the sound much, but they can take some welly.

Another one is the motorsport range of diamond, but it depends on your definition of cheap.
Old 29 June 2001, 01:33 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

I think I'll try and sort out the Dyn problem I must say that I do like the sound of them - even if they could'nt be run on separate channels on Gensis's 4 channel - just a 4*50w job (£600) rated much higher of course though

The comment was made that they did not have enough top end! - and suffered with the Bass installation - ie they had to be really cranked up!

Saying that I guess a lot of speakers are like this?

Old 29 June 2001, 01:51 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

No, not really.

Dyns were never designed to be a car audio speaker.

Car audio speakers tend to be brighter, and also more efficient due to the constraints of power supplies to the amps, and the standard bass that most drivers add. Mostly to cover up road noise.

Dyns are the consistuent driver in ruark hi fi speakers, and ifyou hear them in this location you wont believe they are the same speakers (which they are not- but its close).

Thats the reason I suggested the JLs, cos they are bright.

Kicker impulse are also bright, and really do take a hammering, but to be honest, I havent heard them for about three years, so cant remember what I think of the sound.
Old 29 June 2001, 03:33 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

Not sure what the problem is steve but having to reduce power to Dyns is not usual! What model of Dyn is it?

I've got the System 240 MkII and run them from my Soundstrem Continuum.

Originally I tried them active 4x50w (underrated) but now i've bridged the amp so they running through the passive crossovers (which are excellent) and getting about 150w each. Most people find giving them 150w+ gets them really going. I've heard a set that were run actively off a pair of Continuums (Continua?) - if only I could have afforded the extra amp

Adam is right that they're not that sensitive - hence needing the power to produce the same volume as a lot of other speakers.

Have to agree about the Focals. I think if I were to change now and couldn't fit in a three way Dyn set, I would probably go with Focals up front.
Old 29 June 2001, 07:35 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Kryten

Yepmy Dyns are 240's - 6.5inches! - so probabaly same as yours

The car hi fi center commented that that the amo had to be bridged as you could hardly here them once the subs were amped up off the Genesis Miniblock!

I think I like the sound of the Dyns an lot.

I've heard a JL set up albeit it was poor having been done by Sextons - I need to here other peoples systems!
Old 29 June 2001, 07:45 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

three way? yuck.

what ever happened to single point source?

oh well

kryten, if you change your speakers again, then there is only one thing to go for.

8inch veritas.

Hornloaded compression drivers, including what looks like a home made damn reliable passive.

The horns go down to 500 hz but arent tinny like piezo driven horns can be. They dont need massive rta'ing to get them to sound half decent. They are beautifully smooth on standard setuo. Problem is they are eight inch front speakers and about 8 inches deep too .

Old 29 June 2001, 11:06 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

Steve, I'm not surprised about having to bridge the amp: as I said Dyns need lots of power. If you want to listen/compare setups, mail me and we can meet up sometime...

Adam, only ever heard one set of horns I liked and I think they were Veritas. Problem is I think they were about 6 grand!!!

However, like all decent horn installtions it would probably need a complete dash rebuild to fit them in. Oh well, life's full of compromises.....