ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Why??

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2001, 05:53 PM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Chairk, why has my front left speaker stopped working??
Old 20 June 2001, 06:06 PM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Talking

No answer, why?? because you are busy on the muppet forum

So i thorght i'd come in and ask a typical muppet question.
Old 20 June 2001, 11:45 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Talking

Is it plugged into anything?

Dan
Old 21 June 2001, 08:27 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

One of the muppets has escaped!

Is this a serious question, or shall I just ship it wholesale to the muppet forum?

Apologies for lack of input, we're having network problems around here.
Old 21 June 2001, 12:03 PM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Talking

Yes i think so

It was working but now seems to be on/off!!

Am i best to take my door off to see whats happening??

My rockford subs seem to of gone a bit quiate all of a sudden too??

And i only have 1 6+9 working

I'm gonna have to strip the whole car down to a shell to find the problem
Old 21 June 2001, 05:01 PM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi chairk, about time

It's a semi serious question

I'll sort it out, just like to moan at the prospect

Only took you a day to find this congrats

Here however is a serious question: (i try)

I have a rockford box with two 10 inch punch subs, running these is a legacy 600w amp.

The box seems to of all of a sudden gone quiater(is that spelt right?) but has never been to thumpey, now i dont want to attract attention too much, but i would like a nice deep hummmmmm.

Would i be best selling the box and going with bigger subs(i still want some boot space) If so suggestions on any make, price, size etc... would be fantastic.

And i go on... Is there any Place i can get door builds for the front as i think the small pioneers in the front are to small, and i think ive blown the left one hence the start of this muppet question.

Cheers dudes.
Old 21 June 2001, 05:17 PM
rockin'Ru
Scooby Regular

First step;ditch the Legacy amp.Miserable,over rated pieces of...
Old 22 June 2001, 08:18 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Right then, ditch the amp as Steve says quite succinctly.

You don't need pod builds as you can get 6 inches into the doors with no hassle. This should be the first move.

Change the amp - don't need to spend much, but a good 4 channel will set you up for a long time and be flexible as your system grows. I heard the Fusion range the other day and, for the money, was very impressed. Well engineered mid-budget stuff.

For deeper bass, a single 12 may be better but to be honest a decent pair of 10s will do a good job - generalisation here, but the 10s will be punchier, the 12 will be able to go lower.

First things first, get the fronts sorted then start working around the car. What sort of budget are you thinking, and can you do it in stages (say 200 quid every other month?)

Finally, where in the country are you? Up north?
Old 22 June 2001, 11:53 AM
kryten
Scooby Regular

If the subs have recently got quieter then its possible that either one has become disconnected, or you've blown one.

Cheap amps (esp those that claim silly power output) have a habbit of clipping rather badly. This produces a brief shot of DC voltage, which speakers don't like too much as it tends to burn out the voice coil (had this problem when my Soundstream amp went nuts and started pumping 15v DC into a JBL 15" sub = expensive!)

A single sub is probably easier to work with, but as you have two already then it may be easier to work with them.

What box are they in (sealed/ported) and is it the right size??

6inch speakers will fit - door builds aren't that difficult but if the budget is limited then your money is probably best spent elsewhere.

What's the budget and rest of the kit you have?
Old 22 June 2001, 03:18 PM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by chiark:
<B>
You don't need pod builds as you can get 6 inches into the doors with no hassle. This should be the first move.

Change the amp - don't need to spend much, but a good 4 channel will set you up for a long time and be flexible as your system grows. I heard the Fusion range the other day and, for the money, was very impressed. Well engineered mid-budget stuff.

For deeper bass, a single 12 may be better but to be honest a decent pair of 10s will do a good job - generalisation here, but the 10s will be punchier, the 12 will be able to go lower.

First things first, get the fronts sorted then start working around the car. What sort of budget are you thinking, and can you do it in stages (say 200 quid every other month?)

Finally, where in the country are you? Up north?[/quote]

I have 6 inch pioneer 3 ways in now

Is the amp that bad?? Its a 4 channel and the gains are already turned down low!!
I like this amp because it has a built in active crossover.

I thorght i'd sorted the front with these pioneers, they are only linked to the headunit (pioneer 6800) and the left one is farting!! And 200 every other month is fine.

I'm stockport way, cheshire/manchester boarder

[This message has been edited by cryptwalk (edited 22 June 2001).]
Old 22 June 2001, 03:34 PM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by kryten:
<B>If the subs have recently got quieter then its possible that either one has become disconnected, or you've blown one.

Cheap amps (esp those that claim silly power output) have a habbit of clipping rather badly. This produces a brief shot of DC voltage, which speakers don't like too much as it tends to burn out the voice coil (had this problem when my Soundstream amp went nuts and started pumping 15v DC into a JBL 15" sub = expensive!)

A single sub is probably easier to work with, but as you have two already then it may be easier to work with them.

What box are they in (sealed/ported) and is it the right size??

6inch speakers will fit - door builds aren't that difficult but if the budget is limited then your money is probably best spent elsewhere.

What's the budget and rest of the kit you have?[/quote]

I was thinking that but they both seem to be bouncing, though being in a enclosed box they would plus the box is sealed so how do i check??

It was clipping but i turned it down and set it up with volume up, so there was no clipping even when i turned it up.

The box is a proper rockford box it says it on the perspex front so i'd imagine it to be the right size. The reason i wanted door builds is that the 6 inch pioneers that are in there have gone funny and these are just being powerd by the stereo.

My system consists of:

Pioneer 6800 headunit to 12 disk cd.
Pioneer 3 way 6 inch front
Infinity kappa rs 6+9's rear shelf
Rockford fostgate punch enclosure
Legacy 600w 4 channel amp with built in crossover's powering the 6+9's and subs.

Whilst i dont want to go overboard, i would like just a nice sound for me not others. (i dont want to be one of these boom boys with windows down pumping hardcore or whatever) I just want a nice subtle hmmmmm and tish tish tish you get the idea??

Cheers guys.

[This message has been edited by cryptwalk (edited 22 June 2001).]
Old 22 June 2001, 03:47 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

pioneer speakers are pants

hi guys.

sounds like dodgy rca lead if half the system goes down in one go.

Cryptwalk,

all the amps these days have a huilt in active.

go to ebay and buy a decent second hand 4 channel from the states.

And would everyone please get rid of their impressions of rockford and directly compare them to something else.

I have yet to see one decent rockford product.

Better off with proplus.

apart from that,

what chiark and kryten said! as I cant be bothered to type.

Old 22 June 2001, 03:47 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Right, first off, let's sort out the front stage.

Drop in some decent speakers, ditch the 3 ways. Components would be best, as you can control high frequency dispersion by mounting and angling the tweeter where you want.

For a smooth sound, hmm. maybe the CD technologies entry level at £160? Perhaps JL Audio entry level components?

We'll get that sorted then move around the car!
Old 22 June 2001, 03:58 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

dont like Jl audio.

Have some and they are lame.

Came with car which isnt too shoddy though.

Anyone tried rainbow speakers?

perhaps platinum audio?
Old 22 June 2001, 04:21 PM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Wink

What about diomand audio for the front my mate has these and they are cool??

I don't know how much he paid but it was a hefty amount!!

I have a kenwood 2 channel KAC-526x amp lying about would it be better to use this somewhere?? anybody have any idea what wattage this is???
Old 22 June 2001, 04:24 PM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Adam M:
<B>pioneer speakers are pants

hi guys.

sounds like dodgy rca lead if half the system goes down in one go.

[/quote]

I think i'll check the rca's as they were not the best when i put them in!!
Old 22 June 2001, 04:29 PM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Question

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Adam M:
<B>Cryptwalk,

all the amps these days have a huilt in active.

go to ebay and buy a decent second hand 4 channel from the states.

[/quote]
Where???

Old 22 June 2001, 05:36 PM
rockin'Ru
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cheers gentlmen.Nick,you don't like CDT's do you? Heheh.
I agree,Pioneer speakers just don't cut it,or their amps.The subs are decent though.
And I agree on the Rockford F***gate comment.My MTX subs sound better and cost less,and they're only mid grade subs.
Guys,over here right now,we have a company coming to light called Adire Audio.VERY nice subs for the money.Nothing fancy looking.They are built to perform only.And they do.One guy hit a 151db with one 15 in a large ported box and claimed the sq at that level was outstanding.
I myself am getting two of them in place of my 4 12". They don't require lots of power either,nor a huge box.
Take a look and see what you think.

http:/www.adireaudio.com/cd/shiva.htm
http:/www.adireaudio.com/cd/tempest.htm

Old 22 June 2001, 05:41 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

for a start, get an amp for the front speakers. the amps in head units are awful and nowhere near the 40w+ claimed....

either ditch the 6x9s or run them at a very low volume.

as for the subs the only real way to check if they work is to take one out and see if it works (low volume...) then try the other one. calculate the internal volume of the box and post the exact model no of the subs - one of us can check the box size is in the right area. Just because it has an RF logo on it, doesn't mean its an RF box.....

Adam, must admit I did like the RF Punch subs paired (4 years back), but preferred the JL overall: actually I preferred the servo corrected one (can't remember the make) but a grand was a bit much for a single sub at the time....

As for the 526 it seems to be claimed at 35x2 (20-20 0.08% THD) though other than the KAC-921/923 'slab' amplifiers I've never like the Kenwoods....

I wonder, can we come up with any more brands we don't like, generally......
Old 22 June 2001, 05:47 PM
rockin'Ru
Scooby Regular

Angry

Well,that worked good now didn't it.
If this works,go to components,then drivers.The Shiva is a 12" and the Tempest is the 15.