Sub and Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2001, 10:09 AM
lpitt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Any advice:

Just had Caliber CSC6 speakers fitted. Now the windows don't open properly.

The shop has suggested replacing them with Infinity 605cs components which I see quite a few on the BBS using. Is this Ok?

Also, have been offered a Pioneer 'space saver sub'. It fits over the spare wheel gap and has an integrated amp, (TS-WX50A). Has anyone got experience of these, or alternatively a better solution for fitting a sub in a 5 door without eating the boot space?

Laurence
Old 04 June 2001, 10:40 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

If you paid to have them fitted, get your money back for fitting and speakers, then find a shop with a clue.

What sort of outfit would fit a pair of speakers and not check that the window opens?

If you fitted them yourself, a spacer ring of MDF (either 6mm or 12mm) works wonders.

By the way, there's a splash guard as part of the pod. If they've hacked and slashed the pod around, or removed it, ask for it back. If it's damaged, ask them to pay for its replacement.

I'm assuming that someone else fitted them, in which case not checking that the things fit properly is a hanging offence if you paid for the service.

So, you can rectify using an MDF collar on the original pod, or you can fit the 605cs as they do drop in.
Old 04 June 2001, 11:17 AM
lpitt
Scooby Regular

You're right I didn't fit them. The fitter is actually really embarrassed by the whole thing, I used them for the original ICE install which is why I went back.

I am going to go for the Infinity speakers, will the splashguard be needed for this or do they literally drop into the hole?

Thanks
Old 04 June 2001, 11:39 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

The infinity drop in with no cutting necessary, IIRC. Have a quick search in the section and you'll find if that's the right model number for simply dropping in.

Check the bottom of the window, too. You'll have to take the door panel off to do this. If you wellied it against the speaker, it may be scratched or cracked. Cracks can and do spread, and Impreza windows ain't cheap!

Glad to hear that they've got the decency to be embarassed
Old 04 June 2001, 11:46 AM
lpitt
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks for your help.

I will check the window myself before they do the work. I did suggest that this could have happened though and like you say I did pay for the installation service which is currently 'not merchantable'.

Laurence
Old 04 June 2001, 05:12 PM
Simon Graham
Scooby Regular

If you try the sub can you let me know what it's like? I'm looking for the bass without box solution in a five door too.
Thanks,
simongraham@altavista.co.uk

Old 05 June 2001, 09:09 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Talking

Laurence,

I've done it in my MY95 5dr...... (sub that is )

I actually made a false floor for the sub - if you're not into Audiophile (TS parameters etc - after all, it IS a car!!!)it sounds brill. I've got a Kenwood 12" sub and it sits in the spare wheel hole - WITH the wheel still in place......

I'm upgrading it so that I don't lose bootspace, but lose about 2 - 3" of height.... basically to bring the floor up to the height of the bootlock.....

This should also give me a bit more volume (cubic size) around the speaker.....

I KNOW it's not the 'perfect' way to do it, but I don't care. It sounds great. I'm not a luddite - I work in the Audio Industry (sorry for the rant - I get sick and tired of people pre-judging what others put in their cars!!! )

Anyways, back to your question - hope this helps

Dan
Old 06 June 2001, 10:04 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Dan

I'm interested in your sub install, can you let me know how it was done by email please?

F
Old 07 June 2001, 10:51 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Talking

Floyd,

Yeh sure - I'll put an email together

Dan (PS - my email's in my profile, as is my website that hold information on the first incarnation of the sub install....ahem...sounded OK, looked a bit amateur hour though!!!)