Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Why does my pioneer screen flash

Search this Thread

Old 22 December 2001, 12:14 AM
wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model p7000cd the louder I turn it up the more the screen pulses. The fronts and sub are run off amps and the system runs the rears. Does it need more power going to it and if so how do I give it more power?
Old 22 December 2001, 04:30 AM
rockin'Ru
Scooby Regular

Cool

I run the same hu.Nice,aren't they?

Yeah,you got a power problem.Either the power supply to the hu is too small,or you a massive system and you an over-all electrical system short-fall.(your alternator can't give you the power that you need full tilt.

Do you know how the hu is wired?
Old 22 December 2001, 04:40 AM
rockin'Ru
Scooby Regular

Angry

ok.Time for a new keyboard!This one rattles when you smack it.No pushbutton about it...punchbutton!%$##@&&*(&%
Old 24 December 2001, 12:08 AM
wrx
Scooby Regular

Its wired from the live feed that powerd the origional HU. How do I get more power to it?
Old 31 December 2001, 05:37 PM
darren tiday
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

i'd say your power cable's at fault m8, not big enough to keep up with the demand.

pop in your local audio expert and he'll advise u on the size needed
Old 05 January 2002, 12:22 AM
audio g man
Scooby Regular

You don't say how old the car is so first things first. check or have checked the battery, alternator, regulator and cable between them.
The cables that subaru use in the wiring loom for the radio are very thin. Consequently, they cannot carry much current (amps) so when you have the h/u playing quite loud the cable(s) cannot cope. you need to install thicker cable for the ignition live supply to the radio and also the ground (earth) and possibly the permanent live too. the permanent is usually just used for memory (holding the radio presets and clock), but it maybe used as a source of power as well as the ignition live on the pioneer. The best place to take the permanent live from is the positive terminal of the battery, fused as close to the battery as possible. Use the same rating of fuse as used in the pioneer unit. Earth the h/u as close to it as possible, find a decent bit of metal and screw your new cable to it. If it's painted, scratch the paint off. A good earth is VERY IMPORTANT. Do not connect the earth to the battery as you will be likely to get a ground loop (something you don't want). Solder the new ignition supply to the ingnition live wire on the back of the ignition barrel, i think it's a black wire with a blue tracer (stripe) but test it first.
Have a look at the head units own fuse rating and use a cable that can carry more amps than the fuse rating to allow for voltage drop.
2.0MM cable can carry upto 17.5 Amps and 3.0MM cable can carry upto 27.5 Amps.
hope this helps.
Old 05 January 2002, 02:29 AM
rockin'Ru
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Perfect!
Old 05 January 2002, 12:08 PM
audio g man
Scooby Regular

A second thought:
Instead of going to the hassle of running in a new ignition live wire you could use the existing one and relay it using the new permanent live.
solder or use a butt connector to join to pieces of short cable to the end of the new permanent live wire behind the head unit, use 1 as the new permanent live for the pioneer and the other for live to the relay. Use a 30amp 4 pin Bosch relay, this will boost the current to the pioneer. When the ignition is switched on the relay goes to closed circuit(supplies power) and when the ignition is swithed off the relay goes to open circuit (kills the power).