ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

My 05 STI Audio advice

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2007, 12:04 PM
brocks
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question My 05 STI Audio advice

I have very recently bought the above car, which has had a double DIN Kenwood DVD touchscreen fitted. The problem is that whilst the front speakers are well up to the job, the rear speakers are very muted.

I was wanting a bit of advice as to upgrading the rear (door mounted) speakers and the possibilty and options of an amp tp power thaes to improve sound quality. Also thought of putting in one of the Fli double 10" sub boxes into the boot as this would, I believe, be removeable when boot space is required.

Am I on the right track or talking a load of rubbish? As I have only ever done ICE on hatchback cars with parcel shelves before and dont want to ruin a decent car. Any help or direction would be most appreciated

Last edited by brocks; 21 March 2007 at 12:04 PM. Reason: sp
Old 21 March 2007, 11:33 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

Have you considered an under seat sub?

Most 10cm will fit in the rear doors and as they are low you lose the high frequencies... which is a good thing for the soundstage.
Old 22 March 2007, 02:57 PM
brocks
Scooby Regular

Cool under seat sub

Cheers Gary, hadnt even brought that into the equation(sp)!

Will have to have a check about at whats available and specs etc and will post back when I get it sorted

Cheers

Scott
Old 22 March 2007, 06:00 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

I put some Sony ones in the back of my 05 wrx (info in the FAQ sticky) - there's not much point bothering with the rears too much imho, unless you're bothered for rear seat passengers.

Let us know how you get on!
Old 23 March 2007, 01:31 AM
brocks
Scooby Regular

Spoke to my local ICE dealer today, booked in for saturday morning. At present getting Alpine components front and rear with seperate Alpine amp to drive. Also getting an Alpine 12" sub in a blue lit ported box mounted in the boot, but removable by uncliping 2 leads if required. Will try and get some pics up when its completed( if i can work out how LOL)
Old 23 March 2007, 09:19 AM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Sounds sweet - what sort of dosh is that setting you back?
Old 27 March 2007, 12:26 AM
brocks
Scooby Regular

Cool New Kit Sorted

Sorry for the late reply, the install cost £430, which included fitting and wiring etc, the Alpine sub and box were on special offer @ £99 which helped drop the price by quite a bit.

Am happy enough with the set up although I still find the rear speakers quite subtle. Maybe i was just used to the normal parcel shelf installs wher all the sound is directed into the cabin from the rear, this will take a bit of getting used to......

I found the Sub box to be VERY strong, but it alost over powers the rest of the md range stuff and as such has to be kept turned down quite low to get the best results. It definately isnt the most over the top set up, but having been done with decent quality products has helped over all.

Again photo's when I work out how.......