Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Few Questions...Install help please......

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2007, 10:37 AM
dazzler1
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few Questions...Install help please......

Hi guys, i have searches through the "Sticky" thread and i have found some very useful info on there, but there are a few questions that i could do with answers to before i start my install.....you will have to bare with me as im a bit of a novice with this sort of thing........(by the way its a UK STI 03)

1, i have an Alpine CDA 9847R Head Unit, and i cant get the darn thing out....so firstly how do i do this?

2, I read that there is a rubber bung where the aircon goes through in the engine bay which i have to use to get the "positive" cable through to the cabin....Is this hard to get to?, is it still ok to use with aircon installed?, and do i take it out from the engine bay side?

3, I am gonna have a go at building my own base box as i need plenty of space in the boot (near the opening)......I have 2 x 12" Alpine typeS subs......how much volume does the actual box supposed to have?, does it need to be ported?, And also, does it really matter which way the subs are facing?

4, I have a Kenwood 600watt amp to run the subs, and i have also bought a 1farrad capacitor....The Amp is going in the boot so where is a good place for the Earth cable?, And also what is the wiring sequence for the capacitor?

5, Finally, i have read that a good upgrage for the front speakers are the Infinity 6010cs......but when i looked on ebay to purchase some, there were 2 reputable businesses selling them, one said they were 6" and the other said they were 6.5"......Which is correct ones to go for?

Once again guys, i am sorry to ask so many questions but i want to get this right first time. Even if you only know the answer to one of my questions i would very much appreciate your input. I am going to make a start today and i have all weekend to use aswell. Its not going to be a fancy boot install, just simple and practical but i will post some pics when its all done....(providing i havent blow the car up!)

Thanks in advance guys.

D4RYL.

Last edited by dazzler1; 16 March 2007 at 10:42 AM.
Old 16 March 2007, 01:02 PM
dazzler1
Scooby Newbie

Ok, well for number3 i have already built my base box!
Its 32" wide
16" deep
12" high at the front
8" high at the back

So the subs are slanting towards you slightly!

Ive done so that it is NOT ported as i think these subs require that after doing a bit of research.....and that it doesnt matter which way the subs are facing as base noise doesnt need this.

.......So time for lunch now, then onto actually putting subs in and fixing in place in the boot along with amp and Capacitor.

After that i need a little bit of advice on the things mentioned above.

D4RYL.
Old 16 March 2007, 03:51 PM
dazzler1
Scooby Newbie

Ok, well i have the subs in the box,the box carpeted, and the box snuggly fitted into the boot with the Amp and the Capacitor.....all ready to be hooked up!

Quite pleased with the look of it even though i say so myself

So all i need now are the other questions answered.......then i can have a crack at it tomorrow.

If anyone could please answer any of my other questions it would be great.

Thanks,

D4RYL.
Old 16 March 2007, 04:13 PM
Biggs
Scooby Regular

Location: East Barnet/southgate on the borders of North London and Hertfordshire

The only question i can answer/(be bothered to read...sorry) is question 1.

If you remove the face and the plastic outer edge you will see 2 prongs at either end of the unit..what you need to do is get a screwdriver and lift them 1 at a time they will slide out of a slot then the unit can be pulled out
Old 16 March 2007, 04:16 PM
dazzler1
Scooby Newbie

Nice one biggs......will have a stab now.

D4RYL.
Old 18 March 2007, 11:35 AM
dazzler1
Scooby Newbie

Well.....all done!

I had to search all over the place to found out the answers to my questions...but its done now.

Sounds as sweeeeeeeet as a nut!!!

D4RYL.