ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Amp should feed ?

Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2007, 04:53 PM
Neilg7777
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amp should feed ?

Ok just fitted a DVD Head unit in to my scooby and it sounds good from the front speakers but the 6-9 in the back dont seem to be that good. The 6-9 are not subaru but Kenwood, I have a amp would it be ok to wire the 6-9 to the amp for better sound quality. I do not want to put a sub box in the boot as i need the space.
Thanks Neil
Old 27 February 2007, 07:18 PM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

by using the amp it will improve things no end regarding sound quality
Old 09 March 2007, 04:44 PM
Neilg7777
Scooby Regular

Found out the owner before had not cut holes in the parcel shelf wood, I have done this and now sounds a lot better.

Next question if i want to fit my sub in the boot can i make the box thinner as i need the space or does the box need to be that big. Thinking of a thin box fastened to the back seats
Thanks Neil
Old 09 March 2007, 04:55 PM
kittle
Scooby Regular

stealth sub box mate ideal as sits on the arch. the amp will helpy the 6by9 no end! will sound ace
Old 09 March 2007, 05:36 PM
Neilg7777
Scooby Regular

Can i cut my box down to make this or does the sub need all the space.
Thanks Neil
Old 10 March 2007, 06:04 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

Subs need a large enclosure to allow them to work properly.

You are for better off investing in your front speakers, fitting quality components and amping them and then just using the rears for a bit of fill.

If you have full range speakers in the back it confuses the soundstage so you should only have subs behind you really if you want quality.
Old 13 March 2007, 01:37 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

To be honest with you mate I wouldn't put your sub in the boot, the scooby boot is crap for subs in the boot.

I have a Pioneer TS-WX 11A active sub under my drivers seat and it sounds great, the problem with subs in the boot is you need to whack up the volume to hear it properly then the boot starts shacking and the number plate rattles and the spoiler rattles and you sound like a **** to the people outside, plus it takes up valuable space in the boot.

I have infinity 6010CS speaker in my front doors which are properly padded out with sound deadening and foam etc and do not rattle at all, in conjunction with the sub in teh cabin the whole lot now sounds great

Kenwood also do a very nice active sub that will fit under your seat.
This is just my opinion and what I have done but what you do is upto you.

Last edited by Wurzel; 13 March 2007 at 01:40 PM.
Old 20 March 2007, 05:48 PM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

Default SUB ENCLOSURES

LOL
Originally Posted by GaryCat
Subs need a large enclosure to allow them to work properly WRONG!!!
A sub does not need a large enclosure at all, some do agreed but not all. If you have a large cheap speaker, say 15" and put it in a ported enclosure, then yes you will prob need to have a large enclosure, a small i.e 10" sub of reputable quality like JL Audio's 10W7 you will only need an enclosure of 1.25 cuft see attached

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/pdfs/7591.pdf

This works very very well in the boot of my scoob.

You are for better off investing in your front speakers, fitting quality components and amping them CORRECTand then just using the rears for a bit of fill.NOPE, IT'S JUST A WASTE OF TIME IF YOU ARE GOING FOR A SQ SYSTEM.

If you have full range speakers in the back it confuses the soundstage CORRECT so you should only have subs behind you really if you want quality.NOT QUITE CORRECT THOUGH, THE REASON YOU PUT SUBS IN THE BOOT AS THEY WONT GO UNDER THE DASH VERY EASY, YOU CAN PUT THEM IN THE CABIN IF YOU HAVE THE SPACE, THIS IS ACTUALLY BETTER DUE TO THE SOUND NOT BEING OBSTRUCTED BY ANYTHING SO IN THEORY YOU DON'T NEED TO RUN THE SUB/AMP AS HARD TO PRODUCE AN ACCEPTABLE SOUND.
The reason you want a sub is that it's quite hard to reproduce low frequencies in a car due to the harmonics of the environment in which the music/sound is intended to be replayed, a sub will add the lost frequencies by way of forcing them in by nature of being bloody great big speakers to overcome the unresponsive nature of a cars interior.