ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

4" AND 5.25" SPEAKER UPGRADE

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2006, 08:51 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4" AND 5.25" SPEAKER UPGRADE

I'm looking to upgrade my speakers in my Elise with the sizes quoted can anyone recommend some good speakers for an upgrade.
Prices would be helpful too.
Old 29 October 2006, 09:46 AM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

an upgrade is going to be easy but what you are going to need to ask yourself is how far do you want to go.

prices will depend on whether you want to add an amp or not, if not and you will be running off the head unit then upto 100 quid will see you ok, something from Infinity's reference series would be ok, entry level Boston Acoustics and MTX are quite good as well imo.
If you are happy to install/have one installed an amplifier then you have a far greater choice and the sound difference will be amazing.
Old 29 October 2006, 08:05 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobysmiff
an upgrade is going to be easy but what you are going to need to ask yourself is how far do you want to go.

prices will depend on whether you want to add an amp or not, if not and you will be running off the head unit then upto 100 quid will see you ok, something from Infinity's reference series would be ok, entry level Boston Acoustics and MTX are quite good as well imo.
If you are happy to install/have one installed an amplifier then you have a far greater choice and the sound difference will be amazing.
Not looking to install an amp just want to get the best i can out of the head unit.
If as you say Infinitys are good then i'll try those
Old 29 October 2006, 09:27 PM
COLZO
Scooby Regular

Infinitys are great IMO.
Old 30 October 2006, 09:02 AM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

Well the Reference series are quite sensitive - this means they don't need much power to get working, so work well off a head unit, they have quite a pronounced top end (treble you would call it) but are not as smooth as the Kappa's, bass isn't quite as solid either as the Kappa's but they are more expensive and have been designed to work with external amps etc.
I have some Reference 6x9's in my van and they are loud loud loud, mainly coz i got 2 pair and they are on an amp

I doubt you will be dissapointed with them if you keep it reaslistic with your expectations of what they will do off a head unit.
Old 30 October 2006, 07:24 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobysmiff
Well the Reference series are quite sensitive - this means they don't need much power to get working, so work well off a head unit, they have quite a pronounced top end (treble you would call it) but are not as smooth as the Kappa's, bass isn't quite as solid either as the Kappa's but they are more expensive and have been designed to work with external amps etc.
I have some Reference 6x9's in my van and they are loud loud loud, mainly coz i got 2 pair and they are on an amp

I doubt you will be dissapointed with them if you keep it reaslistic with your expectations of what they will do off a head unit.
Just looking to improve things in the elise a little so dont worry i'll be realistic. As you will know i'm never going to get perfect sounds in a rag top anyway but anything has to be better than the cheap and nasty O/E ones
Old 30 October 2006, 08:26 PM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

they will prob be the right speakers for you then i'm thinking, you will notice the better top end more than bass response simply because it's a rag top as you say, you loose more bass in one of these than you do treble, fit with confidence i'd say