ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

FM modulators...

Search this Thread

Old 19 November 2001, 09:46 AM
nom
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...are pretty crap.
Set one up yesterday as an alternative to using aux-in on the head-unit. The sound gets through fine, but its balance is all over the place. It sounds, oddly, like a cheap radio. The balance can be flattened out with tone controls/graphic eq, but it's a pain having to do it just for one input. The sound seems not too bad once the levels are worked out though.
This was of course just the modulator I had (the one with the m-station). Others may be much better(?)
Just in case anyone was thinking of using one!
Old 19 November 2001, 10:22 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I would rather do without than use a modulator. They are the work of Satan.
Old 19 November 2001, 10:33 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Yeah, I've just cancelled my order for the M-station coz I found out that my Alpine HU doesn't have an RCA inputs

£200's a bargain, but not when I need to change the headunit as well to get any decent sound out of it.

Stefan
Old 19 November 2001, 10:52 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Oz, is there no add-on unit for the alpine? New Kenwood CD changers have integrated aux inputs. For my older cd-changer, I bought an add-on unit for 50 quid that allows me to connect two changers and an aux input.

Old 19 November 2001, 12:05 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

I thought there was too - uses the CD changer doobrie for the connection.
Old 19 November 2001, 01:27 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Chiark/Nom,

AFAIK there is a Alpine gizmo for linking 2 of their changers to one headunit, but I haven't seen any for adding RCA connections or other AUX inputs.

My headunit has the std ISO connector, power, gnd, pre-out, sub, cd changer, front L/R and rear L/R outputs only.

The cd changer uses Alpines AI-net connection, so I'm not sure how I could get the output from the M-station into the headunit without using the FM modulator thingy

Chirak, what sort of adapter do you have? What connection does it use to i/f with the headunit?

Stefan

Edited coz I can't type

[Edited by ozzy - 11/19/2001 1:36:21 PM]
Old 19 November 2001, 01:50 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

I think this is the thing - go to
http://www.alpine-europe.com/2001/acces/datas/gb/acces_navi_gb.htm (sorry - don't know how to embed links) & it's in there as a KCA-121B. Apparently it only works with units that are 'V-Link' (?) capable. Looked to me like the NVE-K200 might do the job, but that wasn't what I was looking for & the description isn't very good so might be completely wrong...
The link's from the European Alpine site if you hadn't already worked it out!