ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

what speakers for a 04 STI

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2006, 11:00 AM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what speakers for a 04 STI

i've already upgraded the headunit in my 04 STI - now i want to change the standard speakers in the doors and put some 6x9's in to the rear self. Ideally i'm after speakers that will fit stright in with a minimum of fuss.

Has anyone done this and is so what kit did you use?

I'm not after competition quality - i just want a half decent sound..

Last edited by pippyrips; 22 June 2006 at 11:03 AM.
Old 22 June 2006, 12:07 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pippyrips
i've already upgraded the headunit in my 04 STI - now i want to change the standard speakers in the doors and put some 6x9's in to the rear self. Ideally i'm after speakers that will fit stright in with a minimum of fuss.

Has anyone done this and is so what kit did you use?

I'm not after competition quality - i just want a half decent sound..
minimum fuss you say!!!!!!!!!
go for some 5.25" in the fronts and you may as well change the tweeters whilst at it,so cross-overs a must,infinity speakers are very popular around these parts,also you will need some speaker spacers as the window mech will catch the rear of the speaker,so either make some out of 8mm mdf or buy some corsa pockets from your local ice dealer

6x9 in the rear shelf,this is gonna need some fuss matey.................
Old 22 June 2006, 04:33 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ethanrob
minimum fuss you say!!!!!!!!!
go for some 5.25" in the fronts and you may as well change the tweeters whilst at it,so cross-overs a must,infinity speakers are very popular around these parts,also you will need some speaker spacers as the window mech will catch the rear of the speaker,so either make some out of 8mm mdf or buy some corsa pockets from your local ice dealer

6x9 in the rear shelf,this is gonna need some fuss matey.................
top man - what kinda fusss are we talking?,.,,,
Old 22 June 2006, 05:10 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Rob, I fitted Kenwood Components in my classic, I know it's not a newage but can't be that different, speakers set me back around £220 ish, that was for 6" on the parcel shelf and 6" in the doors with a tweeter and cross over. Had sextons in swindon fit the lot, no spacers need as they are designed for the car
Old 22 June 2006, 06:19 PM
mickp
Scooby Regular

Fitted some 6 x9 in my 2001 Sport without to much aggro. Want to fit the same in MY05 WRX but this looks like a tricky one.

I have loked and looked and i still can't find a newage with parcel shelf speakers ?. I even had a peep on Sunday at the NBO and nothing !!.

Come on some one must have done it and we need to no how
Old 22 June 2006, 09:31 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

there was a newage white sti that was for sale on here recenttly - that had a modded rear shelf - anyone remeber the one?
Old 23 June 2006, 09:29 AM
turboDean
Scooby Regular

i've got 6x9's in mine, i just bolted them to the under side of the rear shelf, i have since made some MDF spacers to go between the shelf and speaker.

Fronts i fitted a set of rainbow components in mine a couple of weeks, made spacers again out of MDF, as long as you can use a jigsaw it's not to much bother to fit them.
Old 24 June 2006, 09:40 AM
osaka
BANNED

imo i would go for some 6.5 inch components up front.. make some spacers out of mdf and go with some 5.25" in the rear doors.. they will drop straight in. do a 4 channel amp.. and if you want some bass then drop in a 12" sub.
we have done a quite a few installs in the impreza's... dont be putting in 5.25" in the front... sound will be crap.. the rears will be for surround...
yours is different from the classic.. i have a classic and have put in 6.5 inch front and rear.. with the classic they sit on the rear shelf.
putting 6 x 9 speakers in the back wont give you the clarity... depends what type of sound you want and what kind of music you listen too. the choice is yours!!
Old 24 June 2006, 02:44 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by osaka
imo i would go for some 6.5 inch components up front.. make some spacers out of mdf and go with some 5.25" in the rear doors.. they will drop straight in. do a 4 channel amp.. and if you want some bass then drop in a 12" sub.
we have done a quite a few installs in the impreza's... dont be putting in 5.25" in the front... sound will be crap.. the rears will be for surround...
yours is different from the classic.. i have a classic and have put in 6.5 inch front and rear.. with the classic they sit on the rear shelf.
putting 6 x 9 speakers in the back wont give you the clarity... depends what type of sound you want and what kind of music you listen too. the choice is yours!!
top man - if you at the next mini meet i'll pop over to have a chat about it
Old 25 June 2006, 02:08 PM
mickp
Scooby Regular

Question

[quote=turboDean]i've got 6x9's in mine, i just bolted them to the under side of the rear shelf, i have since made some MDF spacers to go between the shelf and speaker.

Fronts i fitted a set of rainbow components in mine a couple of weeks, made spacers again out of MDF, as long as you can use a jigsaw it's not to much bother to fit them.[quote]

Any pics ??????????

Last edited by mickp; 25 June 2006 at 02:11 PM.
Old 25 June 2006, 02:09 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

Not being funny, but why do you want 6x9's in the rear.

These speakers are a compromise and personly, i don think there worthe the bother to fit.

All you need is a good set of components up front, decent set of mids in the rear, and for a little extra bass, maybe and active sub woofer like the sony, im sure theres a few others out there too

john