ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

simple replacements

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2006, 07:20 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default simple replacements

hi guys. right ive got a 95 wrx (jap import i believe) and guess what the speakers are pants!!

what i would like to do is just uprate the speakers in the front and back doors and pop in a couple of 6x9s on the parcel shelf for some more bass.

but guess what... i havent got a clue what i need or how i do this. i dont want to go down my local halfords and get totally ripped of and would like to try it myself.

do i have components or coaxials in my car and do i need loads of wiring kits and/or amps crossovers etc??? it really is blagging my head. just want to replace all the standad speakers with some better quality ones.

if it helps i listen to mainly ibiza choonage, nowt cheesy pop trance, lots of classic stuff round 130-138bpm. o and my headunit is a deh-p6800mp...

any help or a guide would be much appreciated...
Old 08 June 2006, 08:17 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

1. You DON'T have components in that car.

2. Nor, IMHO, do you need them.

3. Speaker sizes, however, will be crucial, if you want a simple install and DIY.

IIRC, fronts are 16.5cm. There are no speakers in the rear DOORS of my classic '98 car, but the ones on the rear shelf are 13cm and crap. I replaced 'em with 9x6's , but it's NOT easy. Takes a full day, needs spacers, OE parts removed, carpet to cover spacers etc etc. WELL worth it if you can be arsed.

Get down to Halfords with a mate, listen to some speakers. narrow down the choice to about 3 or 4 front and rear. Do a blind listening test, (where he selects speaker, you turn your back and just LISTEN, and choose which one you like. Ignore any comments about what make is good/bad/indifferent: if YOU like them , buy them. Do fronts and rears seperate.

Alcazar
Old 08 June 2006, 09:57 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

ah right so components are when you have speaker and a tweeter seperate whereas i only have a coaxial ie a speaker and tweeter in one?? so if i can work my doorcards off, then they should just fit as per normal then?? as long as i have the right size, believed to be 5.25 or 13 cm speakers. would i then need a set of templates or any leads for the speaker cables? i guess id have to screw them in but i dont know as ive never taken the doorcards off.
Old 08 June 2006, 11:35 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

ah another quick one, how would i go about getting my doorcards off to see what ive got to play with. i really have no clue???
Old 09 June 2006, 11:23 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
ah right so components are when you have speaker and a tweeter seperate whereas i only have a coaxial ie a speaker and tweeter in one??
Got it in one.
[quote=chocolate_o_brian) so if i can work my doorcards off, then they should just fit as per normal then?? [/quote]
Yep.
as long as i have the right size, believed to be 5.25 or 13 cm speakers. would i then need a set of templates or any leads for the speaker cables?
Nope, speakers would fit, you MIGHT need to drill new holes, but SOME speakers, (Sony) come with a FULL set of holes matching virtually any pattern
i guess id have to screw them in but i dont know as ive never taken the doorcards off.
Yep, see above.

Getting door cards off isn't rocket science, there are usually screws under covers at the front of the card, one under a cover, (it is on mine), inthe door arm pull, electrical switches to remove, and the door handle surround to remove.

DON'T undo the big screw in the centre of the door HANDLE, (not door puller).

The electrical switches can be lifted from front, when they unclip. Unclip wiring at the same time if the card is to come right off.

The handle surround slides forwards, then off, or on mine, just gently prises off.

Once those are off and the screws undone, the card unclips around the bottom, use a LARGE bladed screwdriver, or a fork handle to help, you can feel where each clip is as you do it, get as close to the clip as poss before lifting. IF you break any, don't worry, Scoob dealers either keep 'em in, or can get them quickly.

When it's unclipped, lift it up and off it comes.

Alcazar
Old 09 June 2006, 04:01 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

absoluet diamond mate

basically a bit of gentle trail and error then. its just finding the screws first, thats my problem, but the clips i didnt know about, will watch out for them and make sure there not broken, specially as theyve probably never been removed before anyway.
Old 10 June 2006, 09:43 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I see you're in Scunny too? PM me or e-mail me if you get into problems with it.

Alcazar