Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Mask'in Useless...

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2001, 04:29 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have mentioned it before (in Gen) but I am still without Sounds in the motor...

Having had my Kenwood Mask Head unit and the Equaliser lifted I am loathe to buy the same components again, as their theft deterrent provisions proved to be no theft deterrent at all...

I still have the face for the EQ & hoped the Head Unit would be of no use due to being disconnected from the power & only me having the 'plip' to re-activate it. Green Flag man seemed to think the thieving toe-rags can get around these issues...

I'm confused and unwilling to shell out £500 to replace them. Totaly removeable units are no longer avail, as that would obviously be the solution...

Help guys - what do I do? And no one say 'Walkman'!!!!

Any help much appreciated.

D
Old 16 October 2001, 05:06 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

The new kenwoods have a d-mask solution, which is both a stealth mask or, for when extra protection is required, you can remove the faceplate completely. It's useless without the faceplate, and very obviously so.

The problem with completely removable units is that they were so cumbersome that people didn't remove them - hence even if you did remove 'em, you could find that someone had broken your window, opened your boot, glovebox and looked under your chair looking for the thing.

Of course, the same could happen with a removable faceplate, but given that the thing is so much smaller, you're more likely to remove it from the car, too...

Don't let the b45t4rds get to you. I had a unit nicked, and it's damn depressing... Still, on the positive note, the Kenwood theft insurance can be extended for three years when you buy the unit for around 25 quid...

Nick.

Nick.
Old 16 October 2001, 07:31 PM
lancerkicker
Scooby Newbie

Justifiable...

I thought this might cheer you up a bit - I had my car broken into and what did they take?? No head unit, because I had the panel, all my amps are well hid so they didn't get them either - no instead they pinched £25 worth of cheapo Armani sunglasses and the hands free kit for my mobile? Go figure, so far the cost of repair is around £300 for the damage to the door, ironically if more stuff had been nicked I would have understood....

Oh and then the next day my tyres got slashed, so another £200 down the pan. Don't you just love them??
Old 22 October 2001, 06:38 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice guys.

Chiark, does the Kenwood 3 yr insurance (OK for £25 actually) cover anything for the dash/motor? I doubt it, but it would still be the best solution.

One should upgrade every 3 years or so anyway

Cheers

D
Old 23 October 2001, 09:58 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

It purely covers the unit, unfortunately, so you have to fork out for window/other damage