ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Split Charging YES or NO?

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2001, 10:00 AM
darms
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

I am thinking of installing a second battery in my MY00 (4 door) for the ICE?....

Are there any problems with doing this? also where is the best place to put the second battery?

Pic's of installs would be a help

thx
Old 23 February 2001, 11:09 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Darms, answer is a "yes" as long as you don't use a split charging diode! These are nasty things designed for carvan lovers that just waste energy through heat and have a significant voltage drop across them. Use a sufficiently powerful relay and two batteries. For absolute best results, use two new batteries of the same type as these will exhibit the same charging characteristics.

I used an AutoLeads 180A relay in a previous car along with 2 Delco Freedom batteries (Vauxhall dealers are fairly cheap for these) to good effect. With this, you can ensure that you won't flatten your main battery and also that your secondary battery will get charged.

Only real mounting option is the boot. Hell, if you can find space in the engine bay then someone's nicked part of your engine

Whilst you're in there, upgrade the earth wiring from the alternator and battery too.