ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Phoenix Gold QX speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 15 February 2001, 08:54 AM
PeteC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have fitted a Kenwood 7080R headunit in my MY00, and have been very pleased with the result ( - not too difficult to get a significant improvement over the standard Subaru rubbish, I suppose, but I was surprised how much better it now sounds).

My final upgrade ( - I don't want to get into amps, subs, etc) is to change the front speakers. I've been recommended some Phoenix Gold QX6e (?) component speakers, at around £150 or so.

Alpine speakers were also recommended, at about the same price, but, based on my home Hi-Fi setup, I was told that the Phoenix Gold would be more to my taste. I know that Phoenix Gold have a good reputation for their amps, but does anyone know if these speakers are OK?

Pete

[This message has been edited by PeteC (edited 15 February 2001).]
Old 15 February 2001, 09:34 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Neatly sidestepping your direct question, have you had a listen to anything yet? What's you're home hi-fi setup?

I run Rega Planet CD playet, and Rega Mira integrated amp through Kef Q35 speakers. The sound is wonderful to my ears, as it isn't harsh and isn't "in yer face". Just neutral.

The speakers that I use in the car are like this: cd technologies HD62s. However, they're $400. CD Tech have recently released a 6" component set at 150 quid that Tal has gone for.

I'd take a listen if you can...

Nick.
Old 15 February 2001, 10:16 AM
PeteC
Scooby Regular

Nick,

My home hi-fi setup is pretty long in the tooth now (like me! ) but to my ears is still extremely good. The speakers are floor-standing Kef Concertos, with a Sansui 317 amplifier, Thorens TD150 deck with SME3 arm and moving coil cartridge (can't remember which one), and a high quality CD deck (again I can't remember the make). Most of my music ( - pretty mixed tastes) is on vynil, although more recent stuff is on CD. I've got 2 or 3 albums on both vynil and CD and have tried listening to both together, switching between one and the other. The difference is fairly marginal, (and to be honest, I don't think you would notice it if you didn't have the two to compare against), but certainly on my setup the vynil actually produces the better sound, the CD sounding very slightly "dead" in comparison. I've tried the same test with a couple of other high quality CD decks as well, and came to the same conclusion.

Anyway, enough rabbiting on! Interesting that you also have Kefs. I'll see if I can get a listen of the CD Techs. Any info on the Phoenix Golds?

Pete
Old 15 February 2001, 11:01 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Hi Pete,

Can't help on the PG's, I'm afraid. If you search the net you may well find a couple of reviews on various sites.

They appear generally well regarded, but I don't know the tone of the equipment. If speculating, they should be one of the more relaxed American brands, aimed at quality than in yer face.

Nick.
Old 19 February 2001, 11:15 AM
PeteC
Scooby Regular

Smile

I decided to go with the Phoenix Gold QX6e's, and had them fitted this weekend. Surprisingly strong bass, and excellent sound overall. Thoroughly recommended!