Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Sounds a bit low

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2001, 01:43 PM
Luke
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iv'e fitted 5.25 J.B.L's in the front door and have put spacers in to get a more on axis sound. They are capped to stop sub frequencies. I still want the vocals to be about mid- windscreen not mid-steering wheel. Any clues or is it a case of a small extra set of tweeters mounted top of doors.If so should I disconnect tweeters in J.B.L's ??????

Come on lets have it!!

Luke
Old 07 February 2001, 02:47 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

You may be able to get a better sound yet with what you've got. If not, you're looking at a cross over and tweeters higher up.

Mine are on the black triangle thing on the back of the mirrors, and I get a decent-ish stereo image there. It's certainly high enough.
Old 09 February 2001, 10:03 PM
pat
Scooby Regular

Luke,

I would go with a set of tweeters up top, as chiark has done. I've done this as well, and it seems to work quite well. This will lift the soundstage up to the level you require. But oh dear, more capacitors! : Also, get those doors dynamatted... makes a big difference to dynamics and reduces road noise to boot

Now all I have to do is figure out how to get punch in an Impreza. The only success I have had was by throwing more power than sense at it... a pair of RF Punch DVCs driven with a cool 1.2kW RMS, generated decent punch, problem is that it made all the mirrors completely unusable, and the rear view mirror vibrated so violently it lost its position :O But then throwing 3.6kW into a space the size of an Impreza cabin does tend to shake things about a little :-) Why so much power? Ah, well, linear speakers are inefficient. Efficient speakers distort. It's easy to amplify with little distortion, so it's cleaner to throw loads of power at an inefficient set of speakers.... also keeps the amps warm, they like that

Cheers,

Pat.
Old 10 February 2001, 10:51 PM
Luke
BANNED

For 3.cars I have used high quality "Roofing Flashing". It won't look as nice as "DYNAMAT"
but is the same thing at 1/3 cost. And know it does not smell in the summer.

If I was going to use a Brand name I would use "BROWN BREAD" .