ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

sub help needed

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2005, 11:40 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sub help needed

i have been given a 10" infinity 1000w subwoofer, the only thing is it's only the speaker and i need to get an enclosure for it, but i'm not sure what i need to get. some of the boxes have ports some don't some have like a sound deadening in them and some don't is there like an idiots guide explaining what box does what so i can work out what i need.
Old 24 April 2005, 10:38 AM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

You will need to the correct box sizes and port lengths(if you want it ported)so you can tune the box correctly, you can't just stick a sub in any box as this will lead to a poor sounding sub and can also damage the drive in question.

Have a look here http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=3 these guys really know there stuff and will help you in getting the correct box size, have Infinity got a web site?? is ther any specs for boxes on there.

Also have a look here http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=41 for a few guides to subwoofers ETC

Lea
Old 24 April 2005, 10:56 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can get them from halfrauds for £30-40 with all the bits in place that you need HTH
Old 25 April 2005, 03:04 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

As Lea says, you can't just drop it in a box and get the best out of it. I'd personally go for a sealed box if you're just wanting something to sound good. Read up on the advantages of sealed vs ported, but in short if you port, you can end up damaging the sub quite easily...
Old 25 April 2005, 05:41 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Agreed.

It'd be worth checking the suppliers website for details of your woofer. There are basically three types; one that is designed for a sealed box, one that's designed for a ported one and a third which can be used in either.

The volume of the box, and the size and length of the port all affect the performance. The website may list suitable sizes for these, so you can buy something which is suitable.
Old 25 April 2005, 11:19 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

thanks for all the replys people i have been on the website and it lists 3 different size boxes two with ports and one without. been on the talk audio site (thanks for the link big red) and they say a sealed box about 0.75cf will be ok which is one of the boxes on the site incidentally so i think i'll try and find one like that once again thanks for all your help