ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Weird bass phenomena

Search this Thread

Old 22 October 2004, 09:33 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Weird bass phenomena

I have just put in a new sub in the car. It's only a 10" and it's mounted in a sealed box, so pretty standard set-up.

Now, I have this "thing". It's not so much of a problem but more an interesting observation.

When I crank the volume up inside the car, until it feels like my guts are vibrating it's obviously very loud inside the car. However, because I don't want to be a prat and sound like a boy racer, I decided to turn the volume up, but stand outside of the car to listen to it, and I could not hear the bass at all! The wing etc were visually vibrating, but there was no bass sound? I could still hear the original speakers through the front doors though.

Was I just 'lucky' and I happened to stand in a spot where the bass cancelled itself out due to reflection on house walls, or is this a known phenomena?

Obviously, if noone can hear it outside, it's good because it means I can listen to music without feeling like an idiot

Oh, I also have no sound proofing in the car yet, it will go in in the weekend, so should deaden the front doors a bit, right?
Old 26 October 2004, 12:58 AM
Scoob+Bike=Fun
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try swaping the polarity of the sub cables around
Old 26 October 2004, 06:30 PM
explore
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Henrik
I have just put in a new sub in the car. It's only a 10" and it's mounted in a sealed box, so pretty standard set-up.

Now, I have this "thing". It's not so much of a problem but more an interesting observation.

When I crank the volume up inside the car, until it feels like my guts are vibrating it's obviously very loud inside the car. However, because I don't want to be a prat and sound like a boy racer, I decided to turn the volume up, but stand outside of the car to listen to it, and I could not hear the bass at all! The wing etc were visually vibrating, but there was no bass sound? I could still hear the original speakers through the front doors though.

Was I just 'lucky' and I happened to stand in a spot where the bass cancelled itself out due to reflection on house walls, or is this a known phenomena?

Obviously, if noone can hear it outside, it's good because it means I can listen to music without feeling like an idiot

Oh, I also have no sound proofing in the car yet, it will go in in the weekend, so should deaden the front doors a bit, right?
you will fine if you walk around the car at dif distances you should here the bass at one or more points as the sub is pushing the vibrations further than you are standing, also if you park in front of your garge ie abot 4-6 metre turn it to the vol you had it and go stand inside the garge, you sould find the bass will collect in there very nicely, and that will be the sound people will hear when there in the right place( the max projected bass distance).