Suppressor troubles

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2004, 10:23 AM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suppressor troubles

Hi all,

My weekend car is a MR2 Turbo, and I've got a problem that I simply cannot seem to fix !

Not exactly a lot of room in a '2 , but I've put two Alpine V12 amps in the front boot, 2 8" subs in boxes behind the seats and then front components and 2-way rears.

Problem is, from day one I've had the old 'whine' coming over the tweeters, quite badly. I've put a wee suppressor on the alternator, and then one on the power steering pump - but it's still there

Any ideas ? Should I get some sort of different suppressor ? If so, where from ?

If I sit in the car with the engine on and do nothing, the whine goes after 5seconds or so. But as soon as I start driving - it comes back. Also, the whine doesn't change with revs either, it's constant if that helps.

Anyone ?

Cheers

Matt
Old 17 May 2004, 01:14 PM
Eric Chadwick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Muffleman
Hi all,

My weekend car is a MR2 Turbo, and I've got a problem that I simply cannot seem to fix !

Not exactly a lot of room in a '2 , but I've put two Alpine V12 amps in the front boot, 2 8" subs in boxes behind the seats and then front components and 2-way rears.

Problem is, from day one I've had the old 'whine' coming over the tweeters, quite badly. I've put a wee suppressor on the alternator, and then one on the power steering pump - but it's still there

Any ideas ? Should I get some sort of different suppressor ? If so, where from ?

If I sit in the car with the engine on and do nothing, the whine goes after 5seconds or so. But as soon as I start driving - it comes back. Also, the whine doesn't change with revs either, it's constant if that helps.

Anyone ?

Cheers

Matt
As it happens I recently noticed on the web a page about a guy in the states with a heavily modded MR2 and it mentioned that he'd had what sounds like the same problem. I think they said it was the electric power steering pump and he solved it with lots of tinfoil around it and his signal cables - good luck.

You can find it at http://www.soundkwest.com/mr2/kensinstall.htm
Old 17 May 2004, 01:16 PM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

Cheers Eric, much appreciated

Matt