Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Current Favourite head Unit

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2000, 04:48 PM
RichieC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone recommend a nice head unit around £300. Im quite impressed with the Pioneers with the OEL display, but has anyone got any experience of them sound wise. Ive had a Panasonic last time round and was happy with it, just fancy something which looks tidy.

Cheers for any suggestions.

Richie

Also where is cheap Mail Order,
Old 21 October 2000, 08:39 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Richie

I have the Pioneer MD head unit with the OEL and DSP, can't remember model number.

I actually think the sound quality is very good, better than I thought it would be.

However, I haven't tried powering speakers directly with it as my setup just talks to the amp in the boot that does all the work.

My local Halfords (post-facelift) now have a very good setup so you can check head units with speakers for sound quality. OK, a shop isn't the best place to test, but it helps. Don't buy from Halfords though, their prices are stupid. Deffo go mail order but use a credit card to cover yourself.

Cheers

Ian
Old 22 October 2000, 12:08 AM
RichieC
Scooby Regular

Am I right in thinking the 6100 is the single RCA version??

Thanks for the info

Rich
Old 22 October 2000, 11:06 AM
Gizmo555
Scooby Regular

Got Pioneer 6100 CD head unit with 12 disk changer in boot. OEL display V.nice

Can pick up the head unit for ~£200 mail order, the bad news is you'll have to buy a copy of Max Power to trawl through the adverts at the rear.

Can't comment on sound with standard speakers as I got Kickers fitted at the same time. Sound now very good with no amps etc. The head unit has plenty of power without amps.

The only problem I've got now is rattling door skins and rear shelf because of the extra power. Soon to be fixed by spraying some acoustic foam stuff on the back of the panels.
Old 22 October 2000, 04:17 PM
RichieC
Scooby Regular

What about the Alpine range. Has anyone got one, maybe the CDA-7850 would fit my budget. Ive no experience of anything but Panasonic so I am open to suggestions.

Cheers

PS Do the alpine remotes work well, cos Panasonics has to be pointed right at the Head Unit...pointless.

Richie
Old 22 October 2000, 07:03 PM
Kevin Greeley
Scooby Regular

How about a Kenwood KDC6080R for £180 from
Old 22 October 2000, 11:25 PM
Gizmo555
Scooby Regular

Richie

Single RCA ? What's RCA ?

It's single DIN if that helps. Replaces standard MY00 head unit. If you've got an STi you'll need some sort of blanking plate.

Hope that helps.

Trending Topics

Old 23 October 2000, 01:12 AM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Talking

Gizmo

Dont know what RCA stands for but there the way car stereos connect to amplifiers, same cables as your home cd player connects to amp (except there more heavily shielded to stop interference (sp?).

Simon
Old 23 October 2000, 10:13 AM
davidw
Scooby Regular

Richie,

I've got the Alpine CDA-7850 in my MY00.

It sounds and looks fantastic (I've still got the original speakers but will replace soon). Great features and easy to use.

It's also very easy to fit. It pops straight in and uses the standard connectors. It took me 10 mins to install so it must be easy

I paid £280 about 3 months ago.

Dave.

[This message has been edited by davidw (edited 23 October 2000).]
Old 23 October 2000, 11:52 AM
Martin Stirling
Scooby Regular

Depends what you want to do with it. If you're not intending on running an amp then you should look for as much power from the internal amp in the head unit as possible, otherwise you risk sending a distorted signal to your speakers if you ever turn it up. Some companies offer 50w per channel which is nice.

If you're thinking about running an amp and possibly a sub, then you're best off with a unit with 3 rca's (front, rear and sub). In my opinion Alpine make some of the best quality head units, I've always found some of the more common Kenwood, Panasonic or Pioneer stuff a bit gimmicky; lots of buttons and flashing lights ;-)

If you want the best unit available and have some extra cash then Nakamichi is undoubtably the best available.

Cheers,
MS.

Just another thought, most head units these days do a decent job, so much so that you'll not notice a great difference in sound between any of them. The only thing that you really have to decide on is individual features. If sound quality is your thang then don't neglect your speakers as these are far more likely to affect the quality than which head unit you choose. Finally, if you like a bit of volume then an amp is really worth considering as it allows you to turn up your system without the normal distortion levels from a head unit alone.

Have fun,

MS.

[This message has been edited by Martin Stirling (edited 23 October 2000).]
Old 23 October 2000, 09:33 PM
Mill
Scooby Newbie

I have Alpine CDA-7852. Quality of sound, eas of installation and use are all top notch but must admit I've never used the remote control. (Although jamming it in pocket between seats with a pack of **** sent volume to max)

Previously owned other CD's,in dash and changers, have found alpine (3 off now) and kenwood the best sounding and most suited to my systems (Nakamachi, great sound but seemed a little light on features)

They do sound different, but couldn't agree more with martin stirling about speakers, amps and especially a quality sub making the biggest difference.

When running full systems I prefer Alpine Head unit, Infinity speakers, kenwood sub, and rockford amps, but as with all audio you really should try before you buy.
Old 24 October 2000, 12:52 AM
harryh
Scooby Regular

Sony CDX-M 700 in mine, looks great sounds good and has loadsa features. £250-£280 and has at two or three RCA's (can't remember which off the top of my head)
Old 24 October 2000, 11:31 PM
karlo
Scooby Regular

Hi all,
The main things, IMHO,in choosing a head unit are:-
1) which type of 'source' u are going to listern to (cd,md or/and cassettes)
2) are u going to install amps etc.
3) going tfor a boot build.

All these will cut the choice down considerably.
These questions need to be answered in order to help u!
Regards
Karlo
Old 24 October 2000, 11:48 PM
RSgraham
Scooby Newbie

Richie, I've got a Kenwood, KMD870 (Minidisc) in my RS, 44wpc, changer control for either a CD or MD changer)reote controlable (optional extra)RDS, etc. all the usual goodies,with twin RCA outputs, I think it's a pretty good unit, in fact I put one in the wifes's cavalier too! I don't run amps, but the sound quality is great, and it's powerful enough for you to be able to feel the bass aswell, last time I looked up Tottenham Court Road, thay were selling for about £200, & you could pick up a CD changer for £100, & a remote control for £20.

hope this helps

cheeRS graham

BTW it's last years model, but you'll probably get this years model for very little more cash
Old 25 October 2000, 01:48 AM
rockin'Ru
Scooby Regular

I have a Pioneer P7000R and wouldn't part with it.Never skips when four wheelin,has low,mid and high tone controls plus the auto eq,two high pass and one low pass RCA out's 50-80-125hz x-over points and sub level control.And alot more,but it runs my system like nothing i've seen yet.
MTX 4300x [67 watts x 4] running Audiobahn ABC600 comps in the front[there are better choices] and Pioneer TS-6969 4-ways in the rear[cut off at 250hz by the FIE feature on the HU]and four MTX 6000's on a Usacoustics USX1000F all in an '89 GL 2 door hatchback.
You can still get these fairly cheap and about the only differance in features with the new ones is buttons and display.
Just my opinion.
Old 25 October 2000, 02:58 AM
RichieC
Scooby Regular

Opted for Pioner 7100.

Fitting tomorrow, Ill let you know how I get on.

Ta for the suggestions

Richie
Old 25 October 2000, 11:02 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

I've got a Kenwood 7080 head unit and have had no problems with it - good clear sound. I admit I do like the effect of the MASK system. Boys and toys etc...
Old 26 October 2000, 01:19 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

Tha Nakamichi 6 disc multichanger (all amazingly built into the head unit) is a very impressive piece of kit if you can muster up the cash - I thinbk it costs about £1000. Ouch - I couldn't justify it personally.