Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Fibreglass box ..

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2004, 07:25 PM
brett555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wondering , how easy is to make one , what are the procedures for designing and making one etc .. ? some hints , tips , guides etc...

Im just in the process of getting some new ICE and upgrading and i dont want a big box in my boot taking up most of the space.

brett
Old 29 January 2004, 12:29 AM
Si.t
Scooby Regular

there are some really good guides on the internet if you shove fibreglass box etc in google.

basically, you need to buy resin, hardener, matted fibre, several disposable pots, brushes and gloves, scales and a little pouring cup. also get some tin foil, cardboard and an angle grinder (i saw these in homebase recently for 11 quid!)

you use the cardboard to make the base shape, then cover in tin foil, using spray glue to stick it to the cardboard. then make up the mix (usually 2-4% catalyst/hardener to resin mix) and brush the tin foil with it then place the matting over it and soak with the mix, making sure their are no air bubbles - brush and slap the matting to do this. the fibre glass sets in about 30 mins, so you have to be quick, and you can make a box like this in a few hours on a hot day. the angle grinder is used to cut of the edges. i streched a tee shirt over the shell i made in teh corner of the boot, and used 18mm mdf as a ring for the sub hole/support, held with 4 piesces of dowl which also strenghten the box. the teeshirt is soaked with the mix, then add layers of matting to reinforce. trim, sand down the box, spray the inside with soundeadening and cover with carpet/vinyl... done.

drop me an email and i'll send you a pic of mine if it helps.

cheers

si
Old 29 January 2004, 09:46 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Si's covered it off nicely, really. Make the majority of the box out of MDF, and glass the bits you have to.

Old 29 January 2004, 04:05 PM
brett555
Scooby Regular

Thanks people . Si , can you send me an e-mail to have a chat and have a look at some of the pics.

brett@cadaemia.com

thanks
brett
Old 29 January 2004, 10:54 PM
Si.t
Scooby Regular

brett, YHM. give me a bell and i'll help you no probs.

cheers

si
Old 04 February 2004, 03:12 PM
iain ross
Scooby Regular

Brett , where are you in the uk? my family runs a glass fibre production firm in the midlands. so any materials advice etc i could supply easily. the box should only take 2/3 hours to build i,ll even build it for you if you let me know dimensions colours etc.
email me if you need help or advice