Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

now I need new front speakers

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2004, 01:05 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wondering if anyone can pass on from their experience which speakers they prefer for the front of a classic.

Having just fitted my new headunit, was gutted to find out that one of the components which came with my car no longer works due to what looks like corrosion.

They were JL audio 6 inch components. I can't see a passive but I do know that the tweeter is a 0.75 inch type.

Not sure what size I can get away, the JLs have been mounted in a beautiful spacer which integrally angles the tweeter.

I have been recommend diamond audio MS 6s but have no direct experience of them, although the guy who suggested them has said that due to my having a decent amp, I could benefit from the hex range, but these are around 500 a pair.

I have to admit to always having been a great fan of focals (I had the yellow nomex cones with bullet shaped dust caps) but I am unsure if these are any good anymore. And the old tweeters were a touch harsh.

Unless I buy two mids, I am guessing I am going to need a complete new set of components, so recommendations plus proposed sizes would help out a lot.

How much depth can I get away with?

The mid that came out was a JL vr600 cs if that helps.
Old 13 January 2004, 10:22 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Adam,

If you want to use the existing mounts, measure the depth that you've got there... But I managed to get 72mm into a classic without problems, so most things should fit with a little ingenuity.

Do you know what's wrong with the components that you've got? Does the woofer work at all, or is it just hosed? (Try clicking the cone with a 9V battery to see if it's the driver, or the x-over, or ...)

DLS, Diamond, CDT, Dynaudio are all less harsh than Focals. I'd hop over to talkaudio.co.uk for more advice. There's a meeting this Sunday in Leicester if you want to audition some stuff?

Cheers,
Nick.
Old 13 January 2004, 10:42 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

nick,

right had mid is shafted.

was thinking of keeping the existing passives and tweeters as they sound smooth and I am not fussed about spending big money - I have stereo speakers in the rear ffs (though I need that for dd/dts ).

Its the depth that I really wanted to know and you have helped.

I am loathed to ditch the existing spacers as they are a work of art. Sculpted mdf (with a scalpel and a file by the looks of it) so that the tweeter is beautifully angled. They currently fit a 150mm driver, I was concerned about fitting a 165mm driver. Do you think it will be ok?

Can't make anything this weekend, and as I said, I am not fussed about getting stupendous sound. I am not even prepared to dynamat the doors these days.

Can I ask what people have successfully fitted into a classic. And does, anyone have any feedback on the avic900 sat nav with touch screen.

I love that touch screen!
Old 13 January 2004, 02:00 PM
JockyTT
Scooby Regular

I was comparing a set of JL XR650cs against a few others last week (inlcuding the Genesis Profiles and Audiophile's) and the JL's were by far the best. Bit pricey though.

The Focal's and Infinity's by comparison were quite bright and thinking about the superb acoustics () in the Scoob would perhaps steer me away from them..

Steve
Old 13 January 2004, 02:07 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

thanks jocky,

at the moment though i am only looking at switching the mids and using the existing JL passives and tweeters.

that will save me some money and possibly keep them less bright which in my mind is the fault of a metal dome tweeter as opposed to the JL which i believe may be some kind of fibrous 0.75inch dome.
Old 15 January 2004, 04:48 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

ok guys, nick specifically

gone for a new make that I have not tried before.

http://www.avisound.com/

I have gone for frm6.5s which retail at over £400.

contact in bradford did me trade on them at under £300.

Have bought them ion his recommendation as I trust him, and he says if I am not keen I can send them back no problems.

Apparently they are quite bassy for a mid speaker, and he compares them favourably with the likes of diamond, rainbow, dls etc. (all of which he sells.

they are canadian made and that is about the limit of what I know of them.

I saw the yellow cone and was sold! what has the world come to for me?