soundproofing the front doors & wiring amp

Search this Thread

Old 28 August 2000, 05:44 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Glad to see Scoobynet back up!

I am going to be installing my own ICE soon. Can anyone that has put sound deadening in the front doors advise where exactly to put it? I will be getting 2 X 9ftsq pieces of dynamat imitation stuff. I presume it will have sticky backing.

Any special hints on where to get the 8 AWG power cable through the firewall? Suggested earthing point in the boot (4 door)? Anyone suspended an amp from the rear deck inside the boot? What with? Did you have it upright so it can ventilate? What sort of gap between top of the amp and the rear deck?

I have looked at Tony Nesta's, Glenn's and Scoobmania and they are all really useful.

Have any of you put new speaker wire all the way to the terminals in the front door? Glenn's site says the grommets are very tight.

I really appreciate all your help guys on this and all the other topics

[This message has been edited by john banks (edited 28 August 2000).]
Old 28 August 2000, 07:42 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Hi dynamat i installed in my old renault yet to do scooby you needed to heat with a hot air gun before apply.

Cheers
Simon
Old 28 August 2000, 08:44 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Talking

The dynamat-style stuff will hopefully have a sticky backing. Personally, I've tried dynamat and accumat, and find accumat easier to work with.

Firewall: if you've not got aircon, it's very simple. There's a huuuge gromet in the passenger footwell, above the ECU, that can be used. If you've got aircon, there's one above that which is what I used.

Earthing point: I used somewhere on the left hand side of the boot floor. Usual stuff, ie sand it to bare metal, check underneath first, use decent grounding terminal, chuck some grease on to prevent rust.

Speaker wire: it's tight, but can be done. To be honest, I got my local friendly installer to help!

Amp: It's not recommended to run an amp upside down for a long time, but I did it to a dap600 for two years. That was about 5 years ago and it's still going strong. Other option would be to slam it onto the back seats until you decide that you'll want a sub box

Hope this helps...
Old 28 August 2000, 09:27 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanksfor the replies. I do have air con so I'll try the smaller grommet.

Do you mean just screw the amp onto the seat back? MDF backing first? I suppose it would be a bit tricky to fold the rear seats then? My sub box is cuboidal rather than sloping to fit the profile of the seat back.
I could always put the amp on the sub box (it's about the right size, but I was going to wire the sub with a dual banana plug so it can be disconnected and removed. Obviously the amp would stay. However, I might find a good semi-permanent position for the sub.
Old 29 August 2000, 10:16 AM
Nigel Bowles
Scooby Regular

Cool

Here are some issues that I came accross and how to fix them.

I picked up an earth from the rear seat belt bolts. Gives a nice clean earth.

Running the power through the fire wall was a bitch! In the end I made a hole in the grommet and pushed a wire coat hanger through. With a bit of fiddling behind the aircon unit you can pull it through and tape the power cable to it and pull back into the engine bay, a bit of washing up liquid on the cable helps as well. To get it to the back of the car, there is loads of room down the passenger side in the sills, with patience you can get it past the seat belt without removing it.

The RCA lead can then be run down the middle of the car and directed under the rear seat. This required the hand brake housing to be removed. Again the coat hanger comes in useful.

Sound proofing, wear surgical gloves and don't touch anything as it is a pain to clean off. I have used Brown Bread from Rockford, it is slightly sticky so you can push it onto the door and then use a heat gun and roller to get a very good fix. I have layered the sound proofing up to three times where possible. BEFORE you do that though it would help to get some foam sound proofing and spray the outer skin to assist in keeping the sound in the car. You have to clean the metal prior to attaching.

Hope this helps, have fun ....
Nigel
Old 29 August 2000, 10:48 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

'nother point: don't use a heat gun anywhere near the car otherwise you may do nasty things to the paint. Obvious, I know, but worth bearing in mind

I used solid core earth wire and WD40 instead of Nigel's coat hanger and washing up liquid.

Clean the metal prior to sticking the soundproofing on with something like meths or white spirit. Subaru have put something in the doors which may limit adhesion of your new stuff.

(The FAQ is STARTED!)
Old 30 August 2000, 11:58 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Talking

Oops i did put before applying chiark but thanks for getting me off the hook just in case someone did'nt quite get me

Simon