Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

One for Chiark!

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2003, 09:42 AM
David Blows
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wotcha m8 - many moons ago you helped me with some ICE for my MY99 wagon. Ended up with a nice Kenwood and Infinity fronts. Ta. Finally got round to thinking about a CD changer...

You know what's coming - what's the best bet? Nothing fancy, easy to get to (under the front passenger seat?) and won't break the bank. I know you'll have the right answers and point me in the direction of fitting advice - then I can scour the For Sale to see what's about to do some haggling!

Cheers
Old 27 September 2003, 01:06 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Anything kenwood will do the job if that's the head unit that you have. 10 disc changers fit under the passenger seat with no problems whatsoever in classics and new age...

Fitting involves removing the seat, which is only 4 bolts. Very easy

Cheers,
Nick.
Old 30 September 2003, 04:57 PM
David Blows
Scooby Regular

Thanks Nick,

but seems my 18 month old Kenwood KRC-479R is too old for some of the new changers. Found a 10 disc job for £110 online, but some query about it not working with certain units. Nice chaps at the web site are investigating for me.
Ho hum
Old 30 September 2003, 05:42 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Strange - most modern things should work as they haven't changed protocol to my knowledge. Although saying that, my new head unit didn't like my old changer until I put a switchbox in front of it.

If they have changed anything, it's a very small bit of the protocol that isn't important...
Old 03 October 2003, 01:42 PM
David Blows
Scooby Regular

Nick,

got an answer - my unit is compatible, thank goodness. Think it's quite good deal - 10 disc Kenwood delivered for £118 (dangerous to post - someone may say they could get it cheaper, but what the hell...).

Anyway, thanks again for your help. I'll post my thoughts when I get it up and running.
Old 12 October 2003, 09:07 PM
David Blows
Scooby Regular

Firstly, an info reply - had the Kenwood 10 disc fitted as I'm diy-challenged. But it wouldn't go under the front seat. Not unless I wanted the seat permanently in one place, according to the fitter. Ended up with in it the boot, but I can live with that. Why the hell I didn't get one before I don't know - so much easier to sort out my music, and much better sound.

Problem is, my wife likes it so much she wants some ICE in her T-plate 1.8 Vectra Club... so here we go again. I know I'm de-basing this site by talking Vauxhall, but ICE is ICE and I felt sure you'd have some answers.

So come on Nick - I want something neat and cheap to replace the standard Philips headunit (which doesn't have CD controller) + an autochanger (6 or 10, doesn't really matter). Not new - second hand. And preferably without having to upgrade the speakers as well. What sort of cash am I looking at? I suppose I'll need all sorts of add-ons to make the unit fit, but don't suppose they'll break the bank? Plus £30-40 to fit.

Got any recommendations? Or even something in your back room you want rid off? Or know someone who has?

Cheers
Old 12 October 2003, 09:26 PM
David Blows
Scooby Regular

I was about to add that she wants a radio cassette and CD function, then I thought I'd have a look on Ebay. Some outfit is selling Kendwood radio cassettes and 6 disc changer for just under £115!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3293&item=30516308 08

That sounds cheap. Any opinions?

Trending Topics

Old 13 October 2003, 07:13 PM
David Blows
Scooby Regular

And does anyone know if the what-ever-it-is that allows the standard Vectra headunit to be controlled via the steering wheel buttons will still work with a new unit such as Kenwood?
Old 15 October 2003, 01:16 PM
AJT
Scooby Regular

David - the connector for the wheel remote on the Vectra cannot be married to the Kenwood units as far as I know. You'll loose the LCD display stuff on the Vectra as well (no real loss?). The conversion connector : Vauxhall>Kenwood doesn't include the above - just speaker, power etc.

You'll need to swap the yellow & red power cables over (red to yellow, yellow to red) so you don't completely cut the power to the unit when you swicth off the ignition (and you have to keep reentering the code!).

Good luck!

Alex
Old 15 October 2003, 08:57 PM
David Blows
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that Alex.

You're right - the digital readout is no loss - the damn thing doesn't work properly anyway. But to have to keep re-entering the code is a faff my wife couldn't cope with - she'd forget the number every time.

Sounds like we may be better off tracking down a higher spec Vauxhall/Phillips headunit with CD controller and adding a changer (?). Could be a scrapyard job, methinks - plenty of Vectras there!
Old 15 October 2003, 10:05 PM
kart_man
Scooby Regular

Cool

You can get an adapter that allows the steering wheel controls to work with a sony head unit. Did it in my V reg astra. If you fancy a Sony head and 10 disk changer, I might have it somewhere !! If you're interested, drop me an email and I'll double check (can't remember if I sold it or put it somewhere safe for a rainy day !!!).

Dave
Old 16 October 2003, 10:55 AM
AJT
Scooby Regular

David - my post came across wrong ! I meant that if you swap the yellow & red you WONT have to keep reentering the code. The swapping of the connectors just means you maintain a live feed to the unit when the ignition is switched off.

Sorry for confusion !
Old 19 October 2003, 05:43 PM
stevey
Scooby Regular

i've got a kenwood mask and 10 disc for sale
Old 21 October 2003, 01:29 PM
David Blows
Scooby Regular

OK Stevey,

still waiting for kartman's reply, but want to give me an idea of how much you might want - and whether it's complete with all the leads etc?

Mail me offline if you prefer.

thanks
Old 22 October 2003, 09:34 AM
kart_man
Scooby Regular

Oops, sorry David. Been busy at work the last few days.

I found all the bits at the weekend though, and will be mailing you details shortly.

Cheers

Dave