ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Wiring an amp and speakers

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2000, 06:59 PM
^Gazzer^
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Could anyone give me any adviced on where and how to run the wiring for a boot mounted amp, and speaker wiring for 4 speakers.

In particular, where to break through the engine bay, running along the length of the car, and getting up to the doors for the speaker wires. I know how to get the door pannels off.

ps my car is a MY2000 5 door - hence rear door speakers.
Old 11 July 2000, 09:10 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power cable: run down the passenger side as this keeps the cable run shortest and safest(the battery is on this side). ALWAYS fuse the power cable within 18" of the battery. Any ICE shop can sell you a fuse and waterproof holder for about a tenner.

Run the signal (RCA) cable away from this. Mine run down the centre of the car, under the centre console, and I don't get any problems with noise. Others recommend running down the drivers side and leaving the centre free for all your speaker cable - your call.

To get through the engine bay, you can either use the large grommet on passenger side (assuming that you don't have and don't want air conditioning) or look further up the firewall behind the intercooler and you'll find another grommet with a number of cables going through it. You may want to spray a bit of WD40 on your cable to get it through - I had to make another cut in the grommet to get it through. (I've got aircon, so went the difficult route)

I personally take the seats out as I find it easiest to work without being a contortionist.

To remove the side trim, lever out the "pins" on the running board thing then remove the board. You'll see that the carpet is stapled. DONT remove the staples, but look underneath and you'll see that there's a plastic bit stapled to the carpet which fits in another plastic bit. Unhook the bits.

You need to take out the trim at the bottom of the B pillar too. IIRC, this just pops out, but check before trusting me! You will probably find the entry into the rear doors here. I dunno as I've got a saloon. You'll probably need to use WD40 and a still bit of wire as a pull wire.

Finally, the base of the rear seat comes out with 2 bolts - I think they're 12 or 13mm. The spanner in the toolkit fits 'em.

Don't forget to use the same gauge power cable for your earth as you are using to power the amp!

Keep wiring tidy and you should be noise free.

There will be a FAQ sometime when I finish it off.

Good luck!