cd upgrade.. please help

Search this Thread

Old 05 September 2003, 01:39 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

hi...

first of all, i am a total ice remmy... so with that in mind...

i currently have an addzest system, which was already installed in my my96 wrx. im perfectly happy with the quality (like i said, im a total ice remmy!). ive now had the car so long and used the cd player so much that now the cd player skips and often does not work. ive tried numerous cd cleaners.. but nothing has helped. the problem is now such that almost no cds play.

my current set up is the cd player.. some kind of addzest amp under the passenger seat... 2 speakers in the front and 2 in the back. there might be 2 more small ones also where the wing mirrors are (like i said - im clueless!).

really im after changing the cd player.. probably just for a cheap one, maybe better quality... preferably as cheap as possible... certainly sub-£200, but hopefully around the £100 mark.

can anyone offer some advice? would it mean changing the amp too, and what about the speakers?

what are my options, and can anyone recommend a reasonable quality cd player for cheap money.

thanks!
Old 05 September 2003, 07:54 PM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

Are you using CD-R's ,if you are have you changed brand?What speed are you burning at? If not have you used a CD lazer lens cleaner, these are avalaible from good HiFi shops or Maplins stores and may do the trick. If this does not work it looks like its time to get shopping or get your unit repaired

Lea
Old 08 September 2003, 09:31 AM
milo
Scooby Regular

nope - im not using cd-r's... original cds only, and i have tried (with no success), several lens cleaning products.

i figure i'll be buying a new head unit... i just wondered if you might know of a good, reasonably priced one, and whether it will be compatible with my existing amp and speakers?

thanks!
Old 11 September 2003, 03:50 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

Question

bumpity-bump

nobody knows what's compatible with my existing system and which head unit i should go for?
Old 09 November 2003, 06:58 PM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Have you had a look around the internet ICE sites EG Car Audio Diredt, they have some good deals going, normally. If i was you i would go for a good quality head unit, maybe around 200 quid, go for a decent name like Kenwood, alpine ETC you won't go far wrong.

You can always save up for a CD changer.

Once you get a decent head unit i bet you will want new speakers, amps,subs etc, don't worry your just on the big slippery slope called the ICE addiction

[Edited by BigRed - 9/11/2003 6:59:35 PM]