Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Speaker upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2000, 04:42 PM
Tang
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fitted a Sony head unit (CDX 4850R) on purchase, sound distortion is a pain on the motorway. Anyone have any views about the most suitable speaker upgrades for that head unit?. (Have tweeters in the doors as well)
Old 27 June 2000, 04:47 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

There are lot's of options, but really it boils down to a few things:

1) How much can you spend?
2) Will you be looking to amplify them (either now or later)??
3) Will you be wanting a subwoofer?
4) Is it a four or a five door car?
5) Did you buy the tweeter kit, or have you just got the grilles on the door handle?

Andy
Old 27 June 2000, 04:55 PM
Tang
Scooby Regular

Andy,

1)Not an issue, just want good sounds.
2)No.
3)No.
4)Four.
5)I specified and paid for them when I bought the car, so would be surprised if they weren't there.
Old 27 June 2000, 05:10 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Well I like good sounds, and have spent £300 on a set of front speakers before!!! Although I only know a few guys that would actually do that!!!

If you're looking to spend under £100, then look at the bigger names. It's that time of year when all the new kit is coming out, so last years model can be had for a lot less money!!!

I found the treble too harsh when they're up by the door handles! In my opinion, I prefer the tweeters to be in the footwells pointing up.

At the £100-ish mark I think it's worth listening to the Pioneer speakers.

I'm sure than Adam will tell you otherwise!!

It may be worth doing a search on the BBS, as this topic has come up several times before!

Have a look in the adverts of the boy racer magazines, and you should be able to find yourself a bargain. Either that or go to a go stereo shop, see what they have to say, and what you can listen to!!!

Andy
Old 27 June 2000, 09:28 PM
Pilot
Scooby Newbie

I fitted in my MY99:

front: MB quart compo (seperate tweeters in the door) with the filters under the dashboard

Back (4 doors)
Signat 2 way speaker with separate filters as well.

i also run a Sony headunit

Danny
Old 28 June 2000, 12:34 AM
James_Harvey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I have a Pioneer head unit and auto changer. I changed the front speakers for Infinity Reference 6.5" Components. These give a good sound, although I had to fade quite far forwards. They work surprisingly well with the stock rears.

Im thinking of getting some 2 way 6*9's for the back, probably Infinity Reference again.

I mounted my CD changer under the rear parcel shelf. I dont have the skipping problem. The advice about the shelf is spot on, it is a right pain to remove becuse its tucked under the column trim and round the rear seat.
Old 28 June 2000, 11:58 AM
Rider
Scooby Regular

Just had my stereo upgraded on Sunday, as it happens. I've gone for a Kenwood 45x4 watt head with a 10 disc changer in the boot and Kenwood 130watt speakers front and rear.
Some advice, though:
Make sure that if you're getting a boot changer, the isolate it with some foam or padding, because mine skips on expansion joints and rutted roads and will have to be sorted.
Also, for some reason, Subaru's put the back of the car together in a really crap way, which means it can be a pain for the ICE bloke to get the old paper speakers out. Just make sure they don't rip your parcel shelf to shreds trying to do it!
Old 29 June 2000, 09:53 AM
Rider
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Nice idea. I hadn't thought about putting it underneath the parcel shelf. I'll get the ICE chimps to whack it under there at the weekend. Bloody thing kept doing it on the way in to work this morning. Although that might be because I was 'enthusiastic' again!