Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Complete newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 06 July 2003, 09:09 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need louder music - are there any good sites for FAQ's ?

I've just bought a Jeep Wranfgler and with the roof down I just can't hear the pants standard stereo. I've never got into the ICE world so I'm not sure where to start really.

I understand that I can get a plate to allow me to put any head unit in - there are a couple of small speakers in the dash and a couple of ones in a 'soundbar' attached to the roll bar. I've got space behind the rear seat to put in some sort of enclosure and I'm competent enough to construct something out of MDF.

I've got a list of questions - like do I need line outputs for an amp or can I get a speaker level one ? Do I need an amp just for the sub or for all the speakers ? etc.

I want to be in the value for money range - No fixed budget yet, but I reckon I want to spend less than £500 for a head unit (CD & MP3), amp(s) and speakers - does this sound realistic ?

Al
Old 06 July 2003, 09:17 PM
Surefire
Scooby Newbie

for £500 your not going to get alot. unless your planning to reach serious sound levels then i would settle for speakers and a headunit for now. I would definetly buy an mp3 headunit as the capabilitys of fitting the equivlant 10 cds onto 1 cd means less need for a cd changer. i would lay a side £300 for a headunit i have a pioneeer and would have one again. if you plan to buy some amps your best finding a head unit with 3 pre-outs (front, rear, and sub) this will alow expansion later on. as for speakers buy components they are the only way forward.
Old 06 July 2003, 09:21 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Talking

Just found Chiarks FAQ's - I guess that will keep me busy for now......
Old 06 July 2003, 09:28 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

Thanks Surefire - I guess that answers my first question then - I need 3 amps !

At the end of the day I'm looking for more volume (significantly more) and I'm not overly fussed about quality as long as it sounds reasonable. Something I can hear above 30mph would be a good start ;-)

Al
Old 06 July 2003, 09:48 PM
Si.t
Scooby Regular

3 amps???? presumably you have two channels for the fronts, two for the rear and two bridged for the sub amking 6 channels, or 3 2 channel amps to do this - is this how you reached this? I've always gone for the single footprint approach - 1 (4) channel for the lot - its easier, more convenient, less expensive etc (well my new genesis is actually 2 amps in one, but cased as 1 amp..) why not go for a 4 channel amp, and power the rears off the head unit? £500 is not too bad a budget, but buy a head unit for less than 200 new, new fronts speakers and check out loot and ebay for sub and amp - the stuff in my bro's golf is new bostons, powered by a Phoenx Gold QX450 amp which we picked up for £120 - absolute bargain and cracking amp, too. His JL 12w0 was £80, fronts £150 - so you can get good stuff for your kind of price range.