ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

MY00 owner needin expert help

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2000, 11:33 AM
ernie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

This has no doubt been covered before but I have not had my car long and have only just discovered this site. I own a UK MY00 Impreza Turbo (4 dr) and wish to replace the whole stereo system. I have done this before on other cars and have done all the wiring myself, so I am not looking for a third part to do the work. What I would like to know is what are the exact size of the front speakers (diameter and depth) and what are good replacements requiring no/very little modification. Also, is it easy to remove the door panel and is it hard to get a good seal upon replacing (no rattles etc). With regards to the speakers in the back, I aim to replace them with 6 by 9's (unless there is a better idea) and mount them so as to retain the standard covers to conceal them from thieving b*stards. This may involve mounting them in MDF below the actual shelf. Any recommendations on good speakers here will be appreciated. The head unit I plan to use is a Pioneer DEHP8000 cd unit with a Pioneer CD autochanger. If there is anything better for the same money please let me know. If I go ahead with this, do I really need a sub and amp - is it worth the cost? Will the existing speaker wire be up to the job?

Any help most appreciated
Old 17 May 2000, 11:55 PM
APJ
Scooby Regular

Cool

Ernie . . .

I've just replaced the head unit in my MY00 with a Pioneer 6900 with autochanger. I only replaced the head unit to start with, to see what the installed speakers were like. Whilst the sonic improvement is brill, the speakers do let the system down. Im also looking to install new speakers, into the existing grills. I asked a dealer about speakers, and he suggested 17 cm speakers for the front and 13 cms for the rear - Pioneer do high grade (in the catalogue with blue cones!) custom fit speakers, but not specifically for Subaru.

When looking at head units, I thought the Pioneers offered the best quality/price.

Andrew
Old 18 May 2000, 09:28 PM
^Gazzer^
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I put 13 cm component speakers in the front (blue ones) I glued the tweeters to the door behind the grills. The main drive units fit nicely into the existing plastic mounts without any problems, and without modifying the car's bodywork. 16cm Drive units will fit OK, but without the plastic mount - but therefore vulnerable to getting wet.

The FAQ section of SIDC has invaluable advice on getting the doors to bits.
Old 20 May 2000, 10:56 AM
Nick Lines
Scooby Regular

I fitted 6.5" midbass without modifying metal on a saloon my00 in the doors. I used the plastic mount, but had to cut a bit out of it off - consequently, there's a "flap" of fibreglass (anything stiff would do (ooer)) protruding over the top of the magnet that sticks out. Had to make an MDF ring, too, but it's increased the bass response quite a bit.

Panels are easy to take off and fit without causing rattles, but you may find that there's a couple of rattles from the plastic sheeting on the door due to the larger speaker shifting more air about. There's been some great posts about this - search in the ice section for "rattles".

Tweeters: did the same as ^Gazzer^ for a while and put the tweeters in the standard subaru mounts. Hot glue is a bodger's friend. I speak with authority here, as I have been known to, er, take shortcuts as long as they're safe. Moving the tweeters to either further forward on the door, the A-pillar, or near the midbass driver are all good options worth trying, and hot glue comes off easily. Or use blu-tack whilst experimenting with positions.. My tweeters are currently on the a-pillars, but different brands/styles work in different places with different effect.

If you go for components, you'll get a cross-over. This needs to be put somewhere, but thankfully there's loads of space to hide them behind the kick panels (poke it up a bit on the driver's side). You'll need to either run a cable for the speaker from the head unit to the crossover, or find the Subaru wiring loom and snip that. You'll then need to run a wire for both tweeter and midbass into the door (or whereever you mount the tweeter)

Alternatively, you could mount the x-over in the door which means no cable runs, but isn't a nice environment for the x-over. Perhaps you could hang it off the door card on the "interior" side of the plastic as that's dry?

In the back I actually dropped 5" components and have not bothered with tweeters, and to keep the stereo image these are faded out so much that they're hardly doing anything. I'm not convinced that you need anything at all in the back (Adam M - you can say "told ya so" but only once ) but it depends whether you are bothered about rear passengers or a stereo image.

I suspect that you may have to replace rear grills if you go for 6x9s in the back, which may knacker your stealth tendancies.

Bit of a diatribe, this. It's all fun, and the great thing about the subaru is that getting the door panels off is remarkably easy. The rear shelf was a pig to get out (read instructions that are in FAQ) because my shelf had become stuck on some of the window sealant! Still, it kept me quiet for an hour and a bit..

Lee C and Adam M both know their stuff (along with others too) so watch for their posts.

If you take time to search this forum, you'll see that this has been covered quite a few times. Perhaps it's worth doing an ICE FAQ?? (any comments)
Old 20 May 2000, 11:49 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Question

Ernie,

Maybe I'm being silly, but I personally wouldn't bother with 6 x 9's on the rear shelf!

Personally I prefer the sound of the music through a good set of component speakers in the front, rears running of the head unit, and a good (but not necessary lound and booming) subwoofer.

Maybe it's me, but I'm will to give up a bit of boot space, for a good quality sub! I'd have a sub over large speakers on the rear shelf anytime!!

As for the doors, remember to use some sort of deadening material to reduce the vibrations. As for the vibrations, I think Lee Christie had the right idea, but getting a big piece of 1" foam, and sandwiching it between the door and the door panel!! (I'm going to do this with my next car!

Not wishing to sound like a car stereo snob!!, I'd say that if you are looking at the cheaper end of the market for speakers, then use 6.5" speakers in the doors. They normally need some of the metal nibbling away to get them to fit, but I've always found that spending a bit extra on the fronts, will buy a set of 5.25" speakers that caryy more bass, and generally sound better! It also has the added advantage of not having to modify the doors to get them in!!

Personally I prefer to replace the speaker cables! Have a look at the standard cable, and you probably have thicker doorbell wire at the moment!

Hope this dosen't encourage you to spend too much money!!

Andy
Old 21 May 2000, 06:52 AM
Jonathan
Scooby Regular

Talking

I agree with Andy, 6 x 9 are not going to be great for bass.

Ive put 2 x 8" subs in the rear shelf. No metal cuting etc. Maybe not enough bass to to top dog down the Slough Cruise, but enough to keep most sane people happy

My head unit is a DEH8100. The 8000 is not longer in production. Great to mess around with all the filter settings etc. I had to go the amp route. My RB5 had a high power head unit driving VR600 components (not ideal match), but it just didnt cut it.

Jonathan

[This message has been edited by Jonathan (edited 21-05-2000).]
Old 22 May 2000, 01:50 PM
ernie
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi everyone

Thanks for all the excellent advice. With all that to bear in mind, looks like I'll be doing a bit more research!!!!!!!!!!