Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

sub

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2003, 09:35 PM
dump
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just put a sony sub in my car 12" I have a alpine v12 600 running it, but is sound crap there are a lot of settings on the amp but dont know what they all do is my box best ported.
Old 02 June 2003, 03:38 AM
rockinRu
Scooby Regular

Sony sub's...*sigh*

Give it a 2 cube box with a 4"x12" round port...add polyfill if you want a "bigger" box.

Do this as cheap as possible just to get an idea of this sub's capabilitys...you'll get more output ported but will sound like *** if not done right...and IMHO,there is no right for a Sony sub.
Old 02 June 2003, 08:48 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Did u buy it online in the last few days? If so, you've got 7 days from delivery to "change your mind".

I echo Steve's comments re:Sony subs, unfortunately: I don't like 'em, but that's just me

If you're not getting enough output, then porting will give you an extra 3dB at the expense of linearity. Check that your sub is fully sealed into the box first - push the cone gently, and it shouldn't move. If you can hear a wheezing of air, your sub ain't sealed and try rectifying this first.

You absolutely must be running a low pass filter on your sub, otherwise it will sound "***", as Steve eloquently puts it. Set this to around 80Hz low pass.

If you have a parametric bass boost on your amp, be careful, this can destroy subs very easily , but it is a worthwhile thing to have an experiment with. Just bear in mind that a +3dB boost requires double the amplification power at that frequency, and so you can give your sub a clipped signal pretty simply, which ain't good for subs.

Despite me being down on sony subs, you should still get it sounding "pleasing" at the very least
Old 05 June 2003, 06:47 PM
dump
Scooby Regular

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE ALPINE V12 ????
ITS GOT LOTS OF THINGS ON IN I DONT KNOW WHAT HALF OF ITS FOR.
Old 05 June 2003, 08:18 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

The amp's good

Try reading the manual - that's what it's for . Alpine manuals are normally pretty good.