ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

System replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2000, 11:11 PM
APJ
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Yep, that crappy Phillips head unit in my MY00 ImpT is going as I've just ordered a spanking new Pioneer head & cd changer. Being a complete scooby newbie, and also being too lazy to read thru all the posts on here, I've got a couple of questions:
- the wiring plug attached to the back of the Phillips - is this a standard plug, so any head unit will attach to it?
- is there any cabling already in the Impreza to wire a cd changer in the boot?
- where exactly in the boot is the best place to secure it?
- can anyone recommend any speakers that will fit exactly into the current apertures (so they can be removed when the car's sold)?

Any info greatly appreciated!!

Andrew
Old 09 May 2000, 08:52 AM
Nick Lines
Scooby Regular

Wiring plug *should* be a DIN type plug so it should be easy. It was in mine.

Cabling for CD changer - you'll have to run this yourself. For an easy life, remove the trim from the driver's side that covers the carpet, pop the carpet out of the holders (don't rip the staples out, gently ease the white plastic bits under the staples out of their holders), remove the B pillar trim (just pulls off, but be gentle) and run either around our under the rear seat. (reason for the driver's side is that if you ever run a power cable for amps, the shortest run is up the passenger side which is where the battery is located in the engine bay)

Alternatively, a better place to mount the changer may be under the passenger seat. The seat comes out very easily by removing 4 bolts. A recent post by Adam M gave a good method of securing the changer down, though others have said that Velcro works. Adam's way is better from the security point of view.

(Oh, and just remembered: there's air vents under the seats for rear passengers which can carry hot air. It may be worth ducting the air around the changer, but it probably won't affect your changer unless you're feet are like blocks of ice)

Speakers: I did have CD Technologies 5 inch HD speakers mounted on a piece of MDF on top of the original pods. I then went for 6.5" HD speakers, which were a bit of a fiddle to fit because they're bigger than the pods.

Most 6" speakers should fit fine. Find a friendly dealer and try them first - which part of the country are you in?

[This message has been edited by Nick Lines (edited 09-05-2000).]
Old 09 May 2000, 09:29 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

I think you will find it is an iso plug that you refer to and yes, most head units these days will have iso connections on the back.

Some cars seem to have the male end of this plug wired differently in that the ignition + and permanent + are the wrong way round so that none of the presets work. Specifically german cars so hopefully taht won't be an issue here.
Old 09 May 2000, 09:50 AM
Nick Lines
Scooby Regular

Talking

D'ohhh, ISO it is. It was early, that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it.
Old 09 May 2000, 10:56 PM
APJ
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys . . . the Pioneer arrives tomorrow, so knee deep in cabling on the weekend . . . always a bit nervous when you switch on for first time!

Nick - Im in Bristol - been round some dealers, one suggested some Pioneer custom mount speakers that should fit inside the existing grilles. Going to wait see what the sound quality is like with the new head and existing speakers first.

Andrew
Old 10 May 2000, 10:27 AM
drew
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I have a Pioneer DEH6000R head unit and I can confirm that IT DOES NOT HAVE STANDARD ISO CONNECTORS.
However it does come with a nice wiring loom that connects up to the standard Scooby wiring. The only problem is that is quite large and can be a pain trying to fit it all in behind the head unit.
Old 11 May 2000, 09:54 PM
APJ
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Well, in the end I got the units fitted by Tileys when the car want on for a service for a measly £30. Sound is brill . . although quite fancy some new speakers now!