Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Stereo for a WRW Type R Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2001, 02:01 AM
Simon Greene
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am getting a new WRX STI Type R coupe & will need a stereo system for the car. I dont want any thing fancy, just a head unit, CD stacker & speakers. I have set my budjet at between £500-£600 (at the moment). Could anyone advise a system & what size speakers will I need to fit for a Coupe (front & rear) with out having to do cutting or modifications to my car.
Old 13 July 2001, 08:59 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

For £600 you'll be limiting yourself a little if you want a head unit, speakers *and* changer. It may be worth considering buying a 'front-loading' head unit, and when you've got more funds then get a changer - that would allow you to get a better quality head-unit. That's what I did! However, there are some good kits around for that money - you probably want a head unit/changer packager for around £300-400, and then spend around £80-100 per pair on front/rear speakers respectively. I've recently had a load of ICE fitted to my new MY98 Type-R - some 6x9s just fitted into the rear shelf with a very tiny amount of cutting (more 're-shaping'). I don't see how this would be a problem as long as it's done neatly - since the standard car comes with no hifi at all if you take your speakers out when you sell the car you'd have to put some others in anyway.

The front doors suit the 6" component speakers available from just about all manufacturers these days, and by putting the tweeter behind the grilles by handles the soundstage is dramatically improved.

Lastly, as far as head units go it's best to stick to Kenwood, Alpine or JVC - I've heard from various ICE dealers that some other makes can be a problem to fit the Japanese slot. However, it depends how well you know/trust your fitter. He may be able to get other kit in and make it fit well/look good...
Old 17 September 2006, 07:49 PM
Nate
Scooby Regular

Yeah you will need to spend a little more
Old 18 September 2006, 08:33 PM
Typer Jim
Scooby Regular

Dont agree im afraid..... £700 got me:

Alpine CDA-9854R + iPod adaptor £250
Kenwood KSC-SW1 active sub £145
Kicker KS6.2 in front doors £130
Fli 6x9 in rear shelf £40
Fitting accesories/dynamat £135

This system sounds awesome!!!!!
Old 18 September 2006, 11:50 PM
richiewong
Twatful

Whoa, how old is this thread
Old 19 September 2006, 09:33 AM
Typer Jim
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richiewong
Whoa, how old is this thread
Good greif, didnt look at the age of the origional posts, only the one above mine.... Never mind, keeps people updated.
Old 06 October 2006, 03:00 PM
ZeroRisk
Scooby Regular

Indeed it does

I've been looking for ideas on what to put in my 97 WRX Type RA

The standard system isn't up to much, it's a 2 DIN head unit with CD, (that keeps jumping), and tape player which I'm never going to use as I don't have anything that would play/record tapes anymore... Must be the original system right? lol

Thing is, do I go for a Kenwood 2 DIN replacement or do I go for something like a 1 DIN head unit and a 1 DIN EQ?

I also want to get soundproofing, decent wiring, amp for the speakers, replacement speakers and a modest bass box in the boot.
I don't want defening sounds that people can hear 3 miles away, just quality sound that me and any passengers can listen to on the longer drives.