ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Making space for head unit / removing centre console

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2003, 09:51 PM
p1bobsta
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Before I ask this question, is there an Impreza ICE FAQ with pics and guides on ripping the dash to bits, etc?... save me bothering you all!

Anyway, tonight's problem: I'm trying to fit my Pioneer DEHP 945R head unit in my P1. The problem is that the space in the dash is pretty limited and the 945 has a couple of spangly external units for DSP, etc which are clogging up the inside of the dash. Basically I can't get the unit to sit flush - with all the junk and wiring in behind. Is there any easy way to move (car) stuff out of the way to enable th unit and its wiring to fit.. or is there a fairly simple way to take the console/fascia out so that I can manually arrange/neaten the wiring?

Ta!
Old 08 April 2003, 08:47 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a FAQ - http://www.chiark.com/scooby/icetoc.asp

Easiest thing to do is remove the centre console surround, then fit the stereo, then refit. To remove:
- protect delicate bits of plastic. It's very easy to scratch! Towels work...
- pull up the joint behind the gear lever (grab edge of leather bit of gear surround that's closest to back seats and pull up)
- remove gear surround (unclip from handbrake trim thingy, then pull it backwards.
- remove stereo
- remove centre console trim surround by easing the bottom away, and the top. There's two clips at the sides, and two clips at the top. The clips at the top have metal "teeth" on them that, guaranteed, will fall off into the rats nest of wire behind the dash. Don't let them do this

Fit stereo whilst out. Refit.

Cheers,
Nick.