ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Blaupunkt Woodstock Problems

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2003, 07:56 PM
Dick Turpin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I have been having an intermittent problem with my Woodstock unit recently. Every now and then it just doesn't come on when I turn on the ignition. No amount of poking and prodding gets it to come on!

Eventually, having restarted the car on the next journey, it seems to fix itself, but it is a pain that it keeps cutting out for no reason. I thought at first that it was because I had left the car out on a particularly cold night, but it has just done it again over this weekend.

Has anyone else had a similar problem, and if so, how did you resolve it?

Otherwise, I would thoroughly recommend the unit, as the DAB radio reception is superb, and the MP3 ability makes the need for a separate CD changer seem old fashioned!
Old 31 March 2003, 06:08 PM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Check the connections at the back of the unit and cabling, sounds like a dodgy connection to me.
Old 01 April 2003, 07:17 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Mine lost all output on the right channel the other day - however I turned it off then on again, and all was fine and has been since
Old 01 April 2003, 06:56 PM
Dick Turpin
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks for the comments. I will definitely check the connections as, come to think of it, the unit cuts out when I use the windscreen washer!
Old 16 July 2003, 12:06 AM
Bruce C
Scooby Regular

Strange, mine also loses the right speakers occasionally. I thought it was the connectors originally, but then found turning it off and on fixes it. Sounds like a software problem? I might ring Blaupunkt support. I've had the software upgrade to solve the BBC problem, and no longer get random dropouts - much better. The unit does get very hot when on for a while, which sometimes seem to cause errors reading MP3 CDs.

Bruce
Old 16 July 2003, 07:25 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Can you let me know how you go on with this, please?

I 've lost the right channel on a couple of occasions since, however has immediately been reinstated by turning the unit off and then on again.
Old 17 July 2003, 08:53 PM
LoFi
Scooby Regular

Question

Bruce - what is this software upgrade? My BBC stations all have short points of silence in them. Would love to solve this.

LoFi
Old 18 July 2003, 03:43 PM
Rich B
Scooby Regular

The Software upgrade is for the BBC station loss problem. You have to send it off to blaupunkt to get it done - although they do pay for all the couriers.

Rich
Old 18 July 2003, 09:25 PM
LoFi
Scooby Regular

thanks, i'll give them a call

LoFi
Old 21 July 2003, 02:15 PM
STi8 Mate
Scooby Regular

Dick

My guess is you are running a pre MY00. These cars frequently caused the same problem, but on the left channel, when using the tailgate wash (5 dr). There was a modification, involving a diode I think, which attempts to snub out spikes from the washer pump motor. Even with the mod it sometimes still occured. A good filter might just do the trick. Don't think it means there is anything wrong with your Woodstock at all.
Old 21 July 2003, 05:51 PM
mobile-mouse
Scooby Newbie

can anyone recommend an apropriate DAB antenna and the best place to purchase said item!

I have found that you can have a glass-mounted antenna or a roof-mounted antenna (bee-sting) i've heared that you can get a DAB/FM roof-mounted antenna is this better than using the standard OE FM antenna.

which is better and is a roof-mounted easy to fit or is it best fitted professionally.

also if you purchase the woodstock via the internet how do you know if it has had the Software upgrade for the BBC station loss problem??

Has anyone heared the NEW woodstock DAB53 head unit

Old 21 July 2003, 06:56 PM
STi8 Mate
Scooby Regular

Mobile

My thoughts exactly.
I don't believe these OE rear window antennas are any good. I recently pulled off the connector on a Forester (they use the left side sixth light for the antenna) and got a much better signal with about 40cm of vertical copper wire.
Although I have not tried one, I like the idea of the combined FM/DAB roof mount antenna. Many will not like drilling holes in the roof but the glass mount versions are only recommended for strong signal areas. Height is vital for reception and the best place for your antenna is the roof. As for the DAB53, I cannot find any sign of it on sale in the UK yet. If you find anything on it I would like to know.
Old 21 July 2003, 09:24 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Mine's fine. Hardly any signal loss.

I got mine from Bluespot.co.uk - they do loads of aerials for it.

[Edited by BuRR - 7/21/2003 9:25:44 PM]
Old 22 July 2003, 10:07 AM
mobile-mouse
Scooby Newbie

last nite i was on the web and round the official Blaupunkt web-site and low and behold a the DAB53 for sale with a number of different antenna's follow the link

http://www.my-blaupunkt.com/acatalog/www_my_blaupunkt_com_Woodstock_DAB52_22.html

Woodstock DAB53 & Gti - Flex DAB 2 + Diplexer ( K5 )

Free Theft and 2 years manufacturers warranty
Retail Price £549.99
Saving £140.00

Price: £409.99 Including VAT at 17.5%

and free delivery.

they don't show a price for the unit on it's own but you can work it out it's roughly £53 more than a DAB52.

i think i'll give bluespot a call and find out when they are receiving any units and for what price i'll keep people posted.

Old 22 July 2003, 10:08 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

What's better about it? Is it just the "record" facility?

[Edited by BuRR - 7/22/2003 10:09:25 AM]
Old 22 July 2003, 10:58 AM
STi8 Mate
Scooby Regular

For info on Woodstocks checkout

http://home.t-online.de/home/Lauke/MainGB.htm

or for the DAB53 in German only

http://www.blaupunkt.de/7641706310_main.asp

One benefit of the DAB53 is that its pushing down the price on the DAB52. There still seems to be something strange going on with the prices of the packages including antennas. The glass mount is included for £300 but the basic roof mount is £325, but the antennas are the same price. Might be best to wait a few weeks for alternative suppliers to help drive the price down a bit more on the DAB53.
Old 31 July 2003, 07:46 PM
Bruce C
Scooby Regular

Smile

An update on my right channnel cutting out (OK after a reboot), I spoke to my dealer who said it could be a loose connection. If the unit gets a dodgy response it can shut down one channel. I checked and tightened all the ones I could reach, and nothing obviously wrong, but it seems OK now...

Bruce
Old 08 August 2003, 05:27 PM
Scratch
Scooby Senior

I think the main place to get Blaupunkt stuff on-line in the UK is www.bluespot.co.uk

Also I think there is a dealer locator at www.blaupunkt.co.uk as well.

I've never used bluespot though as I can buy at employee discount direct from Bosch Which is why I currently run a Blaupunkt MP3 single disc player (Acapulco MP52) which cost me just over 50% of list price.

However mine has the same intermittent cut out problem, where if you turn it up loud very shortly after turning it on (but seems only to be when playing an MP3 disc) is shutsdown, or more commonly seems to go through some sort of reboot, then starts the track again after about 10-20 seconds. Keep meaning to pull it out and look for loose wires myself.

[Edited by Scratch - 8/8/2003 5:31:13 PM]
Old 11 August 2003, 06:39 PM
Bruce C
Scooby Regular

Mine is still cutting out on the right channel occasionally, but usually only when I lower the drivers window! Could this be a power-related problem?

Bruce
Old 11 August 2003, 06:52 PM
STi8 Mate
Scooby Regular

Bruce

You may want to try a separate fused supply from the battery via an auxilliary enabled relay (so you cannot leave it on unattended). I still think you have noise spikes present. Try this temporarily just to prove the point before proceeding with a permanent solution. You could also try suppressing the motors but it's not so easy to do this on every motor in the car.