ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Head unit problem

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2003, 06:58 PM
nuclear_pond
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi.

I'm trying to fit a new head unit. Ive just changed scoobys and am putting the HU into the new scoob. Ive got it in, but it, or the car tripm/facia is craking, particularly on bump roads and when breaking.

I had some 'bother' getting it in with all the wiring etc, and couldnt get it into the hola at the back, so I had to unscrew the rubber bung from the back of the HU.

In the ICE faq it mentions taking out the glove box to get access to the back of the stereo when fitting. This would help me get all the wires sorted and aim the rubber bung at the support.

Has anyone done this, or can offer any other ideas. Breaking is driving me potty.

ta
Old 13 February 2003, 07:10 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Take it out, remove the fascia, mount it in the fascia then mount the fascia back into the car...

Anything at the back that forces the unit forwards will be causing more creaks. It's a pain in the ****, but if you get it right it should shut up for a few months.

I've seen people go as far as silicone sealing things in. I WOULD NOT recommend this if you ever want to remove the trim again!
Old 13 February 2003, 08:22 PM
nuclear_pond
Scooby Regular

Thanks. How easy is it to get the facia out? You mean the whole lot? (heater controlls vents etc?)

When it all goes back together, will it not be the same? as putting the facia back with the HU in it, I still wont be able to get to the back to make sure the wireing loom is not jammed, pushing the facia forwards?

Your the expert but I'm still not clear on what this will do.
Old 14 February 2003, 09:31 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

What model year are we talking about?

If MY99/MY00 I can give detailed instructions as the whole lot comes off easily. The surround is separate from the heater controls as they stay put when you take the fascia off, but the bright button, and headlight adjuster and washer controls come too.

You probably want a towel around to cover over the centre console, as they scratch really easily.
Lift the joint behind the gearstick (closest to rear) and that'll allow you to remove the gearstick surround. Pull that up, rotate out of the way. (protect centre console)

Fascia now pulls out from bottom. Be aware that there's two clips at the top that, 99 times out of 100, will fall off. Try not to have 'em fall off, as if you lose 'em they're a turd to find again and no Subaru garage knows the part number without searchin microfiche for hours

Fitting is straightforward
Old 14 February 2003, 06:41 PM
nuclear_pond
Scooby Regular

Its a MY99. How does this whole process stop the creaks? Does it let you get the back of the HU into the metal bracket?
Old 15 February 2003, 10:57 AM
nuclear_pond
Scooby Regular

Heres a picture. Are those pesky plastic clips on here?