Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

headunit removal

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2002, 03:48 PM
nigel253
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After having my Sti V4 for a couple of months it's now time to take it to bits and start putting my stereo in. I have removed all the door cards,seats front and rear, carpets, and sound deadening. But someone please tell me how to remove the Double din headunit. I have taken out the consol between the front seats and glove box, but the cup holder seems to be stopping me from removing the trim that goes around the stereo/ aircon.

Also has any one tried putting their headunit where the top heater vents are, I as because i have a pioneer motorised screen and if I put it in the stock location my heater controls will be covered when the screen is out.

Cheers for your help
Old 15 October 2002, 03:21 PM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

Because if you have a double DIN slot you could put it in the lower part, then it wouldn't cover your heater controls....

Is the V4 interior the same as version 5 & 6??
Old 16 October 2002, 11:19 AM
nigel253
Scooby Regular

I could do this but it looks like the screen would hit the gear lever before turning upwards. Anyway I still haven't managed to remove the trim around the unit yet. HELP
Old 16 October 2002, 01:16 PM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

Hmm, sounds as if your interior is the same as a ver. 5,6 or MY 99/00....

Although, my new Panasonic (Double DIN) is not a TV, but the whole motorised facia opens up when inserting a Minidisc and even when I'm in third gear (the one that probably goes closest to the dashboard) there isn't a problem, but then again I have a short shifter..........

And since your unit doesn't stay in that position for very long (only comes forward to open and then swings upwards) there shouldn't be a problem...
Give it a try I cannot imagine that the screen is that large that it would touch the gear shift lever when coming out, after all the depth-size of any ICE (single or double) is also limited and the screen can't be any longer than that specific size.

Hope it helps,
Ramon
Old 16 October 2002, 01:30 PM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

Also, after reading your original post again, the cup holder should not keep you from removing the center panel trim as the cup holder is attached on its own (2 screws in front and one f***ing ''extremely hard to access'' screw in the middle behind.)

I put an ''exploded'' view of the dashboard in the ICE forum, check my thread called'' Double DIn conversion –

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?threadid=140195

More detailed drawings sre available at any Subaru dealer, as this one only shows the main parts, not all the screws and small parts, clips, brackets etc that are attached here and there...
Old 10 November 2002, 08:37 PM
audio g man
Scooby Regular

Smile

How old is the car?

Does it have a double-din head unit?

[Edited by audio g man - 10/11/2002 8:39:24 PM]