Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

False Floor Question

Search this Thread

Old 26 September 2002, 02:22 PM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

Location: Surrey Somewhere, From 341 bhp '99 STI V to '98 Merc CLK & '00 Peugeot 306 XSI to '01 E46 M3 :)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Ok, here we are again, bored and thinking I now need to move my amps off my homemade amp rack and into a nice false floor type stuation

Having never built a false floor install before, what problems should I expect?

How do I 'attatch' the base layer of the floor to the scoob?

any ideas?
Old 26 September 2002, 11:08 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where's the false floor going - passenger footwell or boot?

Velcro usually does the trick. The build is usually straightforward, and it does look damn good.
Old 27 September 2002, 12:21 AM
Si.t
Scooby Regular

Smile

Your post made me laugh a bit Toby, in that it sounds like you are doing what i'm doing - running through all possible install combinations trying to decide on the right one!

The problem is that unlike other cars (i'm thinking of the BMW install on SQ Plus' website) the floor is quite flat with only a bit of room either side, so any floor build is going to have to raise up the level of the floor. i suppose you could anchor the build either side (or just drill into the fuel tank ). I thought about a part floor install, with panels sloped down either side rather than a whole cover, but still not sure what to do. I just know my coming install will feature a bit of SUBTLE neon and perspex - but that's it so far! Why not build on the amps on the back seat and make that an enclosure with perspex etc etc?
Old 27 September 2002, 09:43 AM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

Location: Surrey Somewhere, From 341 bhp '99 STI V to '98 Merc CLK & '00 Peugeot 306 XSI to '01 E46 M3 :)
Slowboy,

Sorry should have been a little more explicit there, going for a boot stlye install.

Si,

How's it going mate?

The problem is that now I have a full size 17" spare wheel, the carpet is now about 1-2" higher than when the space saver was in there, my plan is to build a thin floor base, then have the amps (moving them off the seat) at the same height as the spare, having the tops of the amps exposed (Cooling purposes only ) and having the top .5" of the wheel exposed for all to see, topped with the ususual grey carpet finish, that way I dont have to create some crazy sub enclosures (Am going to run 2 of the Jl 12's in there), it would then leave me a bit more room to have a 'conventional' double box or 2 single boxes attatched to where my amp rack currently is, also I want to put a Cusco Rear brace on too and that would foul with my amp rack as it is now.......phew!

[Edited by TBMeech - 9/27/2002 9:44:14 AM]
Old 29 September 2002, 10:10 PM
Si.t
Scooby Regular

Sounds good; just decided to be boring and do a lugage friendly install in the boot - the suba and amp will face the rear seat, so when the seats fold down all is revealed (obviuosly with neon, perpsex etc ). Just need the boot space too much and risking damaging things at the mo.