ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Rear speakers and back shelf???

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2002, 10:38 PM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

will infinity 605's fit directly onto the rear shelf of a my00 saloon?? Also i an running a 15" mtx sub in the boot this makes the rear shelf rattle like a b!tch, (and everything else for that matter) can anyone advise on a good cure for this problem (i have fitted the usual sound deadening gear)

Thanx for any advise

BigRed
Old 22 September 2002, 04:52 AM
rockinRu
Scooby Regular

I'm not too familiar with those newer Scoob's,(I like the older jobs)but two rattles that most sedans have is the rear shelf board and the trunk lid itself.
The rear shelf is held in with plastic clips just like the door panels and this mounting method leaves a small gap between the board and the actual metal frame underneath and will rattle like a ***** with serious spl in the trunk(boot,exuse me).
In all the installs I've done for people,I've always removed that board and use foam carpet padding as a buffer.It's cheap and works excellent,and it really doesn't take much to deaden the board.

There isn't much you can do with the rear lid but tighten up the latch.All car doors,trunk lids and rear hatches are adjustable to a point.I'm not 100% sure that those newer Scoob's are,but should be.The only problem with this is that you go from pushing the lid shut with just two fingers to slamming it shut with both hands...but it tightens things up a bit.

I too run a 15" sub,and I've had a bear of a time quieting this hatchback down.I tightened the latch,deadened all the panels,siliconed the third brake light...the last rattle was the rear wiper.It was bouncing off of the glass.Off it came.
Just a few things to look into...

Also,I'm not sure if the 605's will bolt straight in but I think that it was covered here a while back and should be in the FAQ's here...I just want to add that putting speakers in that rear shelf with a slammin 15" in the boot might create some nasty sounds.The pressure that 15 is putting out it vibrating large chunks of steel to the point of annoyance...it will have a field day with a pair of 6.5's because it's the path of least resistance to the pressure.

This is totally a matter of personal preferance,but IMO,remove any speakers back there and just leave the holes open,and concentrate on a good front stage setup.You might lose a few rattles with the boot vented and be able to reach higher spl levels as well.
If you like the rear fill,you can buy baffles that will protect the 6.5's from being hammered by the 15...again,just my opinion.

Hope I might've helped a little...
Old 22 September 2002, 11:36 AM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers for the advice.

Will have to get out the socket set and give everything a good tighten up !!!!

P.s. I bought some laminate floor sound insulation today, it's says on the pack that is good for sound deadening on walls ETC will give it a try in the boot.