ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Rear Doors fitting help - my01

Search this Thread

Old 05 September 2002, 08:22 PM
nigel s
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have started to replace the rear door speakers in my UK300. I am installing 130mm Kenwood Dual Mags and have encountered a small problem (they dont fit) very well anyway. Looks like they need a small spacer 5-6mm to lift away from the door. I have taken the plastic shroud off the standard speaker but this won't fit over the dual mags. Here are a couple of questions that I hope some one could help with:-

1. If I make up some MDF spacers should the plastic shroud which stops any water dripping onto the magnet be re-fitted?.
2. Will the door panels still fit okay with spacers in place?.
3. I also plan to dynamatt around the speakers, should this be fitted between the door and spacer or between the speaker and spacer?.

Thanks
Nigel
Old 05 September 2002, 11:11 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Nigel

If the speakers have a tweeter in the middle, I can almost guarantee you that putting 6mm MDF spacer under them will leave the speaker fouling on the door card. If you're talking a plain mid-bass driver, you might just get away with it, but I imagine that the cone may still have exursions into the door card as soon as you turn it up.

I ended up fitting my Pioneer Magnesium 130mm cone speakers behind the inner door skin on a 6mm spacer(ie inside the door), as it was the only way to make them clear everything.

I never bothered with the plastic shroud and have not had any problems yet.

I tend to use a little blue-tac between the speakers and whatever they're bolting to, and put as much dynamat as I can everywhere else on the door (door inner, inside of outer skin, and some bits on the door card)

Hope that helps a bit

Phil
Old 06 September 2002, 08:37 AM
nigel s
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Phil,
The Kenwood's do have the tweeter mounted in the centre of the driver mounted on small arms from the edge. These have a square mounting plate so I don't think would pass through the speaker appeature. Having had a another look last night they actually fit without a spacer on one edge. Maybe I could get some sort of tapered spacer made but not as thick.