ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

8" subs in the rear parcel shelf ??

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2002, 04:25 PM
fireblade929
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Is it possible, or worth fitting 2x8" subwoofers in the rear parcel shelf of a 4dr classic WRX. I don't want head banging bass anymore (getting too old now Just a nice level of punchy bass.
I don't want to lose any 'real' boot space.

so the parcel shelf would be ideal for me....any thoughts.

Cheers

Andy
Old 12 July 2002, 07:12 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

I'm putting in 2 x 10" woofers in my STi7 parcel shelf, dealer says it works very well if you dont want to lose boot space
Old 12 July 2002, 07:17 PM
fireblade929
Scooby Regular

Wink

Great, where are you having it done.

I would be really interested in your opinions once done. please let me know, I may hang back for a little while

Andy
Old 12 July 2002, 08:58 PM
Luke
BANNED

Are they free air subs??
Old 13 July 2002, 12:40 AM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

Luke, dunno m8, I just let Orpingtons get on with it, I trust them to get it right, never let me down yet.

Getting the install finished next friday so will post my thoughts afterwards.

In my MY01 I had normal 12" sub/amp/component speakers plus the top line Kenwood MP3 head unit, all in was about £1500, should be similar money on the new install, less £400 as I'm still using the old head unit.
Old 14 July 2002, 12:51 AM
fireblade929
Scooby Regular

I went to my local ICE shop today,

They have told me that 2x8" subs is not a good idea in the rear parcel shelf as they think that any cutting of the rear parcel shelf will reduce strength in the car, which I cant see myself ?!?!

They have said my best option is 2x6" subs and 6x9's/1"tweeters or 6"/1" tweeters in the front doors. All powered from a 4x100w amp, all Kenwood equipment.

Not too sure myself, but as you can probably tell, i'm not too clever when it comes to ICE.

I like rock to mellow, not rap. He thinks this will suit my tastes.

Shall I just 'suck it and see' or insist on the 8"s.....or try another shop ??

fed up and confused..

Andy
Old 14 July 2002, 01:30 AM
Si.t
Scooby Regular

Smile

True, altering any part of the cross structure could weaken one of the scoobys' many characteristics of being a superb handling car - the rigidity of the chassis and body construction. However small the part of the structure it may be, it all plays a part somewhere along the line, and in the case of the parcel shelf I wouldn't have thought it would make a major difference. But I wouldn't cut mine up for anything more than 8" speakers.

I would have thought that 6" subs in the parcel shelf would give you plenty of punchy bass, so long as they can handle bass frequencies well and have plenty of headroom - just don't expect the low end depth you get with a 12". I would suggest finding a car that has had this kind of setup installed and listening to it, or putting in some 6x9s to guage what kind of bass you're going to be looking at (or rather listening to).

I wouldn't be chasing after 6x9s in the front; you really want definition and clarity, and as bass is omni-directional, a good bass setup in the rear will take care of that. Good mids with carefully place tweeters will be better than 6x9 coaxials in the bottom of the doors.
Old 14 July 2002, 02:21 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Like has been said above, I would not consider cutting any metal out of the parcel shelf to fit speakers are you are fundamentally changing the rigidity of the car.

You could hang a box underneath and have the subs play through the existing gaps. Alternatively, Scottish Menace has a system that uses the ski hatch to play through and is very effective.

It's your call, but personally I would not consider cutting metal for the sake of speakers!
Old 14 July 2002, 04:34 PM
fireblade929
Scooby Regular

6" subs I think it is then. I don't like the thought of cutting up my pride and joy either...

I'll let you know how it sounds.

Thanks all for your comments.

Cheers

Andy Holmes
Old 21 July 2002, 02:16 PM
Crusty
Scooby Regular

I've found it very dificult to remove rear tray rattles after large (8"+) speakers have been fitted A small boxed 10" in the boot playing thru the empty 6" holes will sound very good !