Jap to UK head unit change advice

Search this Thread

Old 28 May 2016, 12:32 AM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jap to UK head unit change advice

Quick question guys.....

A JDM Impreza I'm looking at has a hideous stereo that I would want gone (and the fact it's incompatible on UK radio stations anyway). Is it case of a one for one harness and head-unit swap or is there more involved?

Thanks
Old 28 May 2016, 12:42 AM
DoZZa
Scooby Regular

Depends on what you have there already. If it's a factory fitted stereo, you'll likely need a harness that converts the Subaru connector into an ISO one.

If it's an aftermarket stereo already installed, then you might find an ISO harness in there already, unless the stereo has been hardwired.

Take it out and take a look.
Old 28 May 2016, 07:48 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DoZZa
Depends on what you have there already. If it's a factory fitted stereo, you'll likely need a harness that converts the Subaru connector into an ISO one.

If it's an aftermarket stereo already installed, then you might find an ISO harness in there already, unless the stereo has been hardwired.

Take it out and take a look.
I found jdm units plug right in without an adapter most of the time!
Old 28 May 2016, 11:15 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

You'll most likely need a Iso and if anything swap the yellow and red wire round for the memory if it don't save settings when you switch it off/on
Old 29 May 2016, 04:53 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys.

It has an aftermarket Pioneer sat nav system in it so I'm presuming it will already have an ISO connector already?
Old 23 January 2017, 10:42 PM
Binny
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thread revival!

Just picked up a fresh import JDM Blob that has a Japanese aftermarket single din Alpine unit installed. I'm wanting to install a double din JVC head unit in its place (https://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/pro...bt_p-32665.htm). Assuming as it's already an aftermarket unit that I won't need an ISO adaptor? Can someone confirm this please?

Also I've heard something about needing other adaptors for other things (aerial conversion I think). Is this all just BS and with the right ISO lead it should just plug right in and work?

Finally, should I need to buy an ISO lead would I be right in thinking that this is the one : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Autoleads-...4AAOSwQjNW-xPz

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Binny
Old 26 January 2017, 02:15 PM
Binny
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Update :

I bought the above ISO adaptor (got it from Car Audio Centre - https://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/pro...01_p-33711.htm) just in case I needed it. Took the old single DIN head unit out to reveal the stereo specific harness was hardwired into the standard Impreza block (the white end of the above ISO lead), meaning in my case I did need the adaptor due to the way it was fitted originally. The replacement ISO lead fitted straight in to the Subaru block and a quick test later and there was no wiring mods required to make the new unit work perfectly. In my case I had to wire in an EDFC controller to the new ISO lead where they'd done the same thing on the original stereo but it was simple to do and (2x wires) and only needed if you have something like an EDFC controller hooked up.

Just giving future users a heads up if they were wondering the same as me.

Finally a quick shout out to the Car Audio Centre. I ordered a JVC stereo, ISO lead and DAB aerial from them and they arrived less than 24 hours later. Top service and worth a mention.

Binny