I need a CD system... help please!

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 1999, 12:02 AM
ColinU
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hi folks,

I really missing not having a CD in my scooby. When I bought the car (MY98 4dr) I had planned to fit the system from my previous car... but some inconsiderate gentleperson swiped the interchanger from the boot of my old R5GTT before I picked up the scooby, so the standard Subaru/Philips radio/tape unit is still providing me with what passes as pretty poor aural stimulation (that's aural, not oral!). I'm light on cash just now so I'm looking for a relatively cheap option (£300 at a push in a month or two!).

My options are:
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

Also, any suggestions/recommendation on a pair of "value for money" 6x9 speakers (2-way or 3-way) for the rear shelf? I'd want to drive them from the 2x55W amp I've still got. I'm not too bothered with doing anything with the front door speakers yet (I prefer sound to be centered behind me for some odd reason!), but may add a couple of tweeter up front if I can scrape any cash together.

Cheers,
Colin.
Old 22 October 1999, 05:02 PM
pilch
Scooby Regular

Colin,

I bought a Pioneer DEH7000R CD head unit recently. It has 2 amp out, 4x 45Watt RMS output, multichanger connectivity (MD/CD), bus system (for remote controls) and a plethora of options. Downside is... it has no clock! This is official guys; Pioneer told me there was no clock

I really recommend this unit (I do NOT work for any resellers etc). I don't have amps and have only replaced the front speakers with JBL's, but the sound is great, with room for improvement through amps using the high pass filter that is built in, plus separate sub-out (normal or reverse). If you're at the Reading meet this w/e then you are welcome to have a listen/play with it.

The system is £300, with remote.

Hope this helps somewhat

pilch

[This message has been edited by pilch (edited 22-10-1999).]
Old 23 October 1999, 08:09 AM
aziz
Scooby Regular

Smile

Colin,

I got a combo set from Blaupunkt (radio/cassete+ cd changer) because it worked out cheaper than buying them separately.

The nice thing is that using special
wiring adapters you can make the electrical
connections without modifying the stock harness in any way fast and easy.

Also on my 99 impreza I found a couple
of threaded holes under the rear shelf which came in rather handy for installing the changer without the need for any drilling
or taking up any boot space .

Most importantly is that the cost of such a set up is about 320 pounds sterling
( in my country at least !) , I am still
using the stock speakers though but the sound has definetly improved.

So I do hope that this info will be of help to you

GOOD LUCK
Old 23 October 1999, 08:54 AM
Lee
Scooby Regular

I would say that on a limited budget of £300 you would be better going for a head unit with CD slot. (pilch I want to hear yours at reading !!)

As to which manufacturer..well again you are limited by the funds. Panasonic and Kenwood seem to deliver the best vfm. Arguable the Alpines have better quality but you wouldnt hear it unless you have amps/good speakers so discount them.

As for cheapo speakers..ahem..courtesy of MaxPower 6x9 test..
No 1. MB Quart DKC 169 (£dunno)
No 2. Philips GTM6935 (£60ish)

incidentally the previous Philips GTM6930 were raved about for yonks.

I chose to spend my £2500 with Hendon Car Audio 0181 203 5225
they beat anyone's prices guaranteed and delivered next day in good condition.
Old 25 October 1999, 09:01 AM
pilch
Scooby Regular

Lee,

Were you at Reading?? I must have missed you! Mind you it was busy. Mine was the dirtiest black ***** there. I was first to arrive, 20 mins before Steve and Simon! Did I feel daft or what

pilch
Old 25 October 1999, 01:28 PM
ColinU
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

All,

Thanks for your advice. Looks like I'll be 'stealing' the Sony MD/radio headunit from my wife's car (she's implied she won't divorce me if I do this!), by a CD interchanger for it (about $140), and get a pair of 6x9 Philips GTM6935's (mate them up with the 2x55W amp I already have).

Now all I need is to get my hands on is the £200-ish ... or maybe just put it on my xmas list

- ColinU