Notices
Group Buys Post your Group Buy and subscribe to existing group buys here!

Perrin Fmic 02-07

Search this Thread

Old 08 August 2007, 09:54 PM
cdfracing
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Perrin Fmic 02-07

We shall be bringing a few of these in over the next 2 weeks and just getting a general interest on these .

From what I have learnt about them they are quality intercoolers that support 1000hp , and that's what we are now looking to stock on the site "quality" parts .... not these cheap Chinese intercoolers that you can find pretty cheap..... Yes I know we had them on the site before but TBH they are Crap! In most cases yes you do get what you pay for! So I have removed them and just sent 5 back ... Cheap alloy and cheap clips !!

I have 2 dealers in the States that sell these and Im just working them against each other to get the prices but it all comes down to quanity . Im bringing 5 over anyway but the more I do the better price.

This will be the Intercooler I defiantly go for when my car is ready .

Not sure if this is of any interest to anyone as I know there has been quite a few G/B lately.

I would say you can most likely pick one up for $1250 + $250 shipping + £60-£80 Tax So that's about £895 each but well see what we can do .

Also would like to know people's thoughts on these if you have heard about them or even have one

Many thanks chris

Tech info from the site

Perrin Performance - Front Mount Intercooler (SS)

The process of compressing incoming air to create boost and power also has a nasty byproduct of heat. Heated air lacks the density to make higher horsepower, increases detonation and forces the ECU to pull timing. All of which reduce the power you are looking to create.

Easy solutions do exist for this problem and PERRIN™ offers several choices for your vehicle and personal taste. For mild modifications and a stealthy look turn to our Top Mount Intercooler upgrades, available for Impreza, Forester, and Legacy models. These bar and plate cores offer more surface area per square inch than cheap tube and fin choices from our less worthy competitors and the overall size is more than 200% of the OEM unit! But Top Mount Intercoolers do suffer from underhood heat buildup and while excellent for mild performance gains the Front Mounts are the ideal choice for all out, bar none HP gains!

Enter the PERRIN™ Front Mount Intercooler upgrades. With gargantuan cores, cast endtanks, high velocity tubing and proper mounting supports, there simply isn’t a better choice for your car, period. These intercoolers will support more than 1000 HP and due to our stringent quality control process have less than 1/4 psi drop across the core at 20 psi., improving throttle response and putting the boost where it belongs in the the combustion chamber!

Features

There are many things that make the PERRIN Front Mounted Intercooler (FMIC) better than the rest. With the very inclusive parts list, structural intercooler support beam, huge core, smoothly routed boost tubes, and super detailed instructions, you know you are getting the best WRX FMIC out there.

INTERCOOLER CORE

The most important part of any intercooler system is the core. The core is what is doing all the work. The core is like a radiator for the charge air. The turbo heats up air as it creates boost, and this super heated air is not good for power. Hot air isn’t good as it is less dense that cold air, and the heated charge can cause detonation. This is where an intercooler comes into play. As the hot air passes through this glorified radiator, ambient air temp/flow cools the charge. But how well the charge is cooled is controlled by the size of the core, and how quickly the air flows through it. Also the pressure drop is important as if a core is very restrictive and has a high pressure drop, you are loosing power.

The factory Intercooler is a tube and fin design which is great for being light weight, and easy to manufacture, but not good for performance. We feel the optimum core design is the 3/8” bar and plate style. This gives a 3/8” charge air and ambient air path, instead of the common 1/4” size, or smaller tube and fin style. Also the bar and plate core is much more durable than the tube and fin. This is something to consider since the intercooler will be on the front of the car, rocks and other debris will hit it. A tube and fin is very thin and can easily get damaged.

The factory Intercooler does an ok job of cooling air on a stock car, but start to modify it, and forget it. The PERRIN FMIC core is 28”long x 9.25” tall x 3.5”deep. This gives you a volume of 906.5 cu-in. The stock core is 7”long x 18.5”tall x 3”thick giving it a volume of 388.5 cu-in. The volume is a great way to get an idea how well the intercooler will do both in both flow, and cooling. Generally bigger is better, to a point. Too thick and you start to loose cooling efficiency. Our FMIC core is the best overall for cooling, pressure drop, and looks. Because of its size, it fills the opening of the WRX/STI bumper very well!

ENDTANKS

The endtanks to an intercooler are also very important. They control the dispersal of air across the intercooler core. A properly designed end tank will allow for near perfect distribution of the hot air across the core and the PERRIN tanks are design that way. With a smoother gradual taper from top to bottom, and with no 90 degree corners, our cast aluminum tanks will ensure that hot air get across the entire core. Built into each tank is an innovative bracket that contains the intercooler support beam. This allows for a simple yet strong connection of the intercooler to the chassis.

INTERCOOLER SUPPORT BEAM

Our Intercooler support beam is made from steel and is futher powder coated to ensure a long rust free life. Because the installation of the PERRIN Front Mounted Intercooler requires the OEM bumper beam to be removed, we choose to make our replace part out of steel. This is in contrast to some competitors that use aluminum in favor of saving a little bit of weight. We feel that some safety factor is important when removing the front bumper beam. We have not crash tested this part, nor do we say it is, but having something stronger than a tin can, should make you feel a little safer.

BOOST TUBE ROUTING

The beginning and ending points of all Front Mounted Intercoolers are the same. The turbo and throttle body are always in the same place but getting to these points are where all intercoolers vary. We choose to take the smoothest shortest path to get to the intercooler. Right off the turbo a smooth offset coupler, and a perfectly matched 2.25” tube travels in the engine bay next to the battery, and down behind the radiator to the intercooler. We chose this size to make for smoother cleaner, clearance free routing and still large enough to flow more WHP than a GT4088R can put out. The cold side of the intercooler travels smoothly to the throttle body through the engine bay. The tube is mounted as high as possible to ensure it clears all turbo and intake combinations possible.

BOOST TUBES

The boost tubes are CNC mandrel bent aluminum tubing. You have your choice of polished or powder coated finish. We choose not to use Stainless steel tubing as this is heavy and there is no need for the added strength. Every boost tube has an oversized bead on the end. This small detail helps ensure the hose clamps and couplers stay connected and sealed!

WEIGHT

With all of these parts installed, the one thing people don’t think about is weight. If you take all the parts you removed and compare them to the PERRIN parts you are installing, you will find you only added 9lbs! This is great as many of the autocrossers and weekend racers.

BLOW-OFF VALVE

Included with every PERRIN FMIC is a blow off valve flange that allows the use of the stock BOV to be used. This doesn’t force the end used to use a BOV they don’t want, or force them to buy a BOV for their new FMIC. Another neat feature is the flange connects to the boost tube using a silicone coupler. The size of this coupler fits many aftermarket BOV’s including ours. This makes for a very clean BOV installation of aftermarket BOV’s.

Included Items
-Intercooler Core
-Support Beam
-Silicone Couplers
-Signature Series Wrinkle Red Boost Tubes
-T-Bolt PERRIN Clamps (produced 12/3/2006+)
-Silicone Expansion Tank
-Mounting Hardware
-Instructions
-Manufacturer's Warranty

Old 09 August 2007, 05:39 PM
cdfracing
Scooby Regular

Old 09 August 2007, 07:35 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If we can get a better price than £895 i may be interested.
Old 09 August 2007, 07:40 PM
cdfracing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by frayz
If we can get a better price than £895 i may be interested.

Yeah £895 is the normal price . Tracktive do them for £895+vat

Already got a price of £800 all in . Just waiting for another guy
Old 09 August 2007, 07:40 PM
cdfracing
Scooby Regular

Tracktive Solutions - Intercoolers
Old 09 August 2007, 08:32 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

I like the look of the stealth kit

Perrin Performance - Front Mount Intercooler (Stealth)
Old 09 August 2007, 08:36 PM
cdfracing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Granby

Sweet!

Trending Topics

Old 09 August 2007, 09:09 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do too, although id paint the core black too
Old 09 August 2007, 09:11 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by frayz
I do too, although id paint the core black too
Definitely
Old 09 August 2007, 10:55 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

Shame as I've just ordered an APS DR525 FMIC from the states otherwise I would've been interested in this.
Old 10 August 2007, 01:46 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Granby
that looks like mine

the Perrin would go nicley with an 18g TD05 Ian
Old 10 August 2007, 05:04 PM
cdfracing
Scooby Regular

Scoobynet / groupbuy price £795 + post or free collection

Let me know if anyone is interested and i'll order next week , don't want to order a load and have them sitting in stock
Old 14 August 2007, 06:05 PM
KelvSTi
Scooby Regular

Default Perin FMIC

Stick me down for one if they are that price

Kelvin
Old 14 August 2007, 07:01 PM
cdfracing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KelvSTi
Stick me down for one if they are that price

Kelvin
Yes they are. Hopefully I have covered my a$$ with the custom's .

Need 3 definite's with a £50 deposit before I order . If that's okay

Cheers
Old 14 August 2007, 07:38 PM
Mackers
Scooby Regular

Question

Would this fit if I already have an APS induction kit fitted, you know the one with the hardpipe that places the filter in the wing?

Cheers,

Dave.
Old 14 August 2007, 07:53 PM
cdfracing
Scooby Regular

Not sure what hole in the wing that kit use's ..

maybe this pic will help?

Old 15 August 2007, 06:33 PM
KelvSTi
Scooby Regular

Default Perin FMIC

1.Kelvsti
Old 17 August 2007, 02:46 PM
KelvSTi
Scooby Regular

Any more takers?

Old 17 August 2007, 11:08 PM
stevz
Scooby Newbie

Hi, im tempted how long would they take to arrive?
Old 18 August 2007, 09:41 AM
KelvSTi
Scooby Regular

I think Chris was looking to order this week sometime, i'm sure he'll be along anytime soon.
Old 18 August 2007, 03:39 PM
cdfracing
Scooby Regular

They will take about 10 days
Old 19 August 2007, 12:50 AM
KelvSTi
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mackers
Would this fit if I already have an APS induction kit fitted, you know the one with the hardpipe that places the filter in the wing?

Cheers,

Dave.
Yep, it'll fit no worries

Any more for any more?
Old 19 August 2007, 03:28 AM
Mackers
Scooby Regular

Can these be supplied with the matching blow through boost tube that replaces part the FMIC tubing, this is to relocate the MAF I believe so the ECU can read the exact temps.

If so how much?

Dave
Old 19 August 2007, 10:54 AM
cdfracing
Scooby Regular

These come in either Red as above or polished pipeing . not quite sure what you mean
Old 19 August 2007, 11:21 AM
Mackers
Scooby Regular

Have a look at this fleabay item number (130108099088)
and all will become clear, I am a bit concerned that when you enquired about arranging a group buy for the FMIC that this item wasn't offered as well as it seems an obvious choice.

Does your supplier carry or know about the full Perrin range?
Old 19 August 2007, 12:30 PM
cdfracing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mackers
Have a look at this fleabay item number (130108099088)
and all will become clear, I am a bit concerned that when you enquired about arranging a group buy for the FMIC that this item wasn't offered as well as it seems an obvious choice.

Okay leave it with me
Old 19 August 2007, 12:33 PM
cdfracing
Scooby Regular

Yes they do
Old 20 August 2007, 05:46 PM
cdfracing
Scooby Regular

The blow thru tubes are a added option at £185
Old 22 August 2007, 10:03 PM
KelvSTi
Scooby Regular

Default Perrin FMIC

Anyone else want to take advantage of this great price?
Old 23 August 2007, 02:04 PM
SSCJAY
Scooby Regular

Why are you not getting these kits straight from Perrin?

I got 2 x Turbo kits from them last year and they gave me 25%+ discount, and sure they would do the same if your ordering 3 or more Intercooler kits?

that works out at £500 per kit + Vat & Duty + Shipping.

Quick Reply: Perrin Fmic 02-07