Notices

fitting turbo +inj

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2014, 11:23 AM
kirky1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fitting turbo +inj

Im going to have a go at fitting some phase 2 440's with adapters and a vf 35 turbo in my classic soon, has any one got any useful advice, never fitted a turbo before will i need new gaskets or can i reuse the old ones? do you have to clamp off the oil and water lines? are the inj adapters easy to fit as i didnt get any instructions with them? how long should it take?
cheers
Old 15 March 2014, 12:10 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kirky1
Im going to have a go at fitting some phase 2 440's with adapters and a vf 35 turbo in my classic soon, has any one got any useful advice, never fitted a turbo before will i need new gaskets or can i reuse the old ones? do you have to clamp off the oil and water lines? are the inj adapters easy to fit as i didnt get any instructions with them? how long should it take?
cheers
Turbo is easy if you can get everything undone. The lowest downpipe stud is usually a complete bitch to get to from under the car. Take the downpipe off and then undo the turbo oil, water, vacuum and air hoses before then undoing the studs to the brackets and uppipe. You can't clamp the oil line as its a hard line and to be honest not that much oil should be in there as it drains out. The coolant line seems to gush a never ending supply but I wouldn't clamp the soft section as its probably an old pipe and if you split it then its a pain to change.

Most people will say this is unnecessary but when i do it next i will just drain the coolant first.

You will want plenty of rags to catch fluids. Get a new set of studs and nuts as the old ones will be rusted and use new gaskets. Don't be tempted to buy the cheap hatched pattern ones as they fall apart. Get the proper subaru ones or ones of the same design. You may get away with using the old ones but if you are fitting a new turbo and injectors why not splash out for new gaskets too. If the old ones are ok keep them as spares.

As for injectors. They are fairly easy to be honest. Make sure there is no fuel pressure left in the system before you start. Use new o rings and be careful not to pinch the o rings when you seat the injectors. I have never used adaptors...
Old 15 March 2014, 12:34 PM
kirky1
Scooby Regular

thanks, will it run ok once installed? ive read its ok as long as you dont go over about 2500-3000 revs until i get an esl installed and mapped
Old 15 March 2014, 12:54 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not so much the revs its the boost. For example in normal conditions below 2500rpm you get no boost so its fine. But going up hill in a higher gear for example if you put your foot down you get a lot of boost lower down before you get to 3000rpm. Lot's of boost means lots of fuel and that will be when the mixture is wrong. I wouldn't run a car with unmapped injectors any more then to get it to the remap location and on the journey I would drive it very steadily.
Old 15 March 2014, 11:32 PM
Steve's Sti
Scooby Regular

Make sure you use genuine gaskets the triple layer ones, plenty plus gas and get some spare studs and all new nuts, the worst part is the inlet pipe going back on