Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2014, 11:20 AM
skitz_1184
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random sensor on inlet manifold

Hi guys!!

Let me first start by introducing myself

My name is Lee and i have had my WRX v3 1997 impreza for about 4 years.

It is Mica Black with an sti version 6 rear spoiler and gold version 7 sti wheels and i love it.

Now im am having a few issues recently, it seems to run like a dog when driving normally.

for example

if i am doing 30 down the road and lightly accelerate to increase speed it will almost drop the revs slightly before picking up, almost like its starved of fuel momentarily.

i recently had it mapped using an apexi power fc commander in the hope it would resolve the issue and while driving around during the map session it was fine and the next day it is back to messing me about.

now i dont want to confuse people into thinking this has happened since the map because it hasnt. This started happening on the ecu i had before the map which was a 6s sti ecu (it run perfect on this ecu for three years before developing this fault) and i had it mapped in the hope it may have been caused by the decat center section i put on the car and the k an n panel filter.

during the map all sensors were reading fine however simon did mention that the car wanted more fuel than he would expect in the lower revs to resolve a slight delay in fuel delivery when the throttle was blipped. I am thinking this may be indicative of a faulty FPR or an air leak. I have emailed Simon to ask his advice but he has not yet replied so i guess he must be busy

The car has the following mods

blitz back box
decat center section
gizmo manual boost controller with three port boost solenoid
forge dump valve
apexi fc commander ecu mapped by JGM
roger clark motorsport uprated oil pump
warlboro 255lph fuel pump
K&n panel filter
excedy stage 1 clutch
Hks boost gauge
oil temp gauge

This leads me on to my second question. While replacing some old boost pipes i broke a nipple off of a sensor which is on the underside of the intake manifold to the right of the Idle air control valve and i have no idea what the sensor is/does or what its called so i can replace. see below image

http://s10.postimg.org/oibcyfnsp/DSC_0309.jpg

Any ideas

thanks in advance for any help or advice offered

Last edited by skitz_1184; 14 March 2014 at 01:00 PM.
Old 14 March 2014, 01:34 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not actually a sensor. Its a little purge solenoid valve. Basically vapor from the top of your fuel tank travels down the thin metal pipe (of the three metal fuel pipes) to the engine bay. It then crosses the engine under the inlet manifold and goes into the charcoal canister behind the offside headlight. Once in there it branches off to the boost pressure switching sensor on the offside suspension turret or to the solenoid you have pictured. Under certain engine circumstances this little valve opens and the fumes in the charcoal tank are purged into the intake manifold. It's an emissions thing as these fumes are bad for the atmosphere.

If you have a break in the line you will have a small vacuum leak/boost leak and the fuel tank fumes will vent to atmosphere.

I have binned the whole system including the canister. Depending on how tidy you want to be it can be easy or hard.

The easy way it to:

Seal the nipple on the inlet/throttle body.

Loop a small bit of vacuum hose over both nipples on that little purge solenoid or just leave it with no pipe on either nipple (i put pipe on mine to stop crap from going in it in case i wanted it lter). You will need to leave it connect with the plug or you will get ecu codes.

Bin the canister and seal off the hole in the bottom of the inlet pipe work and the pipe that goes from the canister to the pressure switching sensor on the offside suspension turret.

Now you are left with the thin metal fuel pipe with nothing attached to it that used to go into the canister. Basically you want it to vent to atmosphere. Do this however you want/feel comfy with.

I didn't want mine doing this in the engine bay and i hated the unused pipe work. So I removed the inlet manifold, pulled out the pipe. Removed the glove box and heater blower and some carpet and rear seat and pulled the pipe from inside the car and then vented the hose that comes out of the top of the fuel tank to atmosphere. But you could just leave all the pipe work in place and do the same parting the pipe work at the tank end. Don't worry about fuel spilling out in a roll situation as it has valves which prevent this on top of the tank. I have hidden the pipe that comes out of the fuel tank at MOT testers might not like it... But older cars vented these fumes to atmosphere all the time before emissions controlling became popular.

So now I have none of this system and its just less clutter. There are probably eaiser ways of just blocking things off but you want to make sure you don't have a boost leak, don't have an inlet pipe leak post air filter and that the tank can acutaly vent of you will get airlocks when trying to fill with fuel.

Also with all those mods you don't have an FPR? I would get one.
Old 14 March 2014, 01:52 PM
skitz_1184
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the info, thats a huge relief and help that its not too important!!

Ok, based upon advice given above i need a FPR, so the question is what one should i get?

and do you think this could be causing my running problems at all?

my car has got a few miles on it 158000 to be exact 120000 of them are in KM tho so i think my standard FPR may have had it?
Old 14 March 2014, 03:43 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by skitz_1184
Thanks for the info, thats a huge relief and help that its not too important!!

Ok, based upon advice given above i need a FPR, so the question is what one should i get?

and do you think this could be causing my running problems at all?

my car has got a few miles on it 158000 to be exact 120000 of them are in KM tho so i think my standard FPR may have had it?

To be honest i'm no expert and have only learned through reading stuff online and doing things myself. So I will let somebody else guess as to if it would be the cause. But it can't hurt to upgrade it as the OE one will have seen better days. I would try to get a reply from your mapper and see what he recommends before committing to anything.
Old 15 March 2014, 09:45 AM
skitz_1184
Scooby Newbie

Bump