Notices

Lightbulb in dash for "oilpressure" problem.

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2014, 10:24 PM
Tobias Olsson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lightbulb in dash for "oilpressure" problem.

Hi

I have an impreza classic, gc8, wrx (called GT here in sweden).MY00
Anyway a bulb for the dashbord was broken, that one that lights upp the dash. After much search for the right bulb, and fiddling with subaru dealer who couldnt find the right bulb for me. I decided to get som aftermarket LED lamps and a diodelamp, this lamps lights up the dashboard. When i had the dash apart i thought i change all the small glas fot lamps to, that are for the "indicator , abs, oilpressure, battery, etc" to new small glas lamps. But after i put everything together and turned the ignition, just so you can se all the dash lamps, the lamp for the oilpressure didnt work or glows very low, so you barely see it in the dash. I´v tried differnt bulbs, change location of the lampsocket (if i take the lampsocket from the oilpressure location in the dash and try it in the "battery lampsocket" it works. I manage to messure the voltage on the dash, where the oilpressure lamp should go in and i have 11.9volts. Same is for the location for the lamps that is next to it (brake, battery, check engine). So i dont understand at all whats wrong, do i have the wrong bulb just for the "oilpressure"? The bulbs i replaced them with ar "osram 12v 1.2w w2*4.6d.

Sorry that the thread became a "novel" but i didnt want to forget anything.

Greetings

Tobias
Old 01 March 2014, 03:19 AM
scoobyJim2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tobias Olsson
Hi

I have an impreza classic, gc8, wrx (called GT here in sweden).MY00
Anyway a bulb for the dashbord was broken, that one that lights upp the dash. After much search for the right bulb, and fiddling with subaru dealer who couldnt find the right bulb for me. I decided to get som aftermarket LED lamps and a diodelamp, this lamps lights up the dashboard. When i had the dash apart i thought i change all the small glas fot lamps to, that are for the "indicator , abs, oilpressure, battery, etc" to new small glas lamps. But after i put everything together and turned the ignition, just so you can se all the dash lamps, the lamp for the oilpressure didnt work or glows very low, so you barely see it in the dash. I´v tried differnt bulbs, change location of the lampsocket (if i take the lampsocket from the oilpressure location in the dash and try it in the "battery lampsocket" it works. I manage to messure the voltage on the dash, where the oilpressure lamp should go in and i have 11.9volts. Same is for the location for the lamps that is next to it (brake, battery, check engine). So i dont understand at all whats wrong, do i have the wrong bulb just for the "oilpressure"? The bulbs i replaced them with ar "osram 12v 1.2w w2*4.6d.

Sorry that the thread became a "novel" but i didnt want to forget anything.

Greetings

Tobias
Have you tried the original back in
Old 01 March 2014, 08:17 AM
Tobias Olsson
Scooby Regular

Yes i tried all the old bulbs that i had left, but with no difference. I would try to find a bulb with more w in it (about 3w) see if it gets any better.
Old 01 March 2014, 09:23 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Most are W5W sidelight bulbs...at least, they are in my 98 car.
Old 01 March 2014, 11:22 AM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

usually a dim glow is more associated with a poor earth of the oil pressure switch itself
Old 01 March 2014, 11:29 AM
scoobyJim2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tobias Olsson
Yes i tried all the old bulbs that i had left, but with no difference. I would try to find a bulb with more w in it (about 3w) see if it gets any better.
If you have tried the bulb you took out that was working fine but isn't now then it's something with your new wiring. You have a bad earth or are shorting out somewhere and something else is drawing a fraction of the power from this circuit
Old 01 March 2014, 11:34 AM
Tobias Olsson
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Most are W5W sidelight bulbs...at least, they are in my 98 car.
No after 98 they changed the layout of the lamps in the dash

So i have these lamps

The big one i only have one of (light up the fuel/temp guage) the one in the middle is three of, and smallest is for the rest(oilpressure, battery, brakes etc)
Old 01 March 2014, 11:52 AM
Tobias Olsson
Scooby Regular

Now im really confused, i tried just for fun to put the led bulb (the one i used to light up the dashboard itself) into where the oilpressure light should be and it worked!?? but it doesent match up with the rest...

But when i try to put back a standard glaslamp it is the same (barely watcheble)

Then i thought the led lamps and the diodelamp was making a strange electrical resistance, so i replaced them all with standard glass bulbs but still the same, the glass bulb doesent work properly in the "oilpressure" place, but the led does??

Here is the led bulbs btw http://www.hova.com/lampor-led-t5-w3w-wedge-vit/
And the diode lamp http://diodhuset.se/produkter/produk...rod_grp-s1/228
Old 01 March 2014, 11:58 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

when the LED bulb didnt work did you turn it 180degrees to check it wasnt just the + & - the wrong way round?
Old 01 March 2014, 12:01 PM
Tobias Olsson
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
when the LED bulb didnt work did you turn it 180degrees to check it wasnt just the + & - the wrong way round?
Yes i have becuse they are polarity sensitive, but then again, why would the led work and not the glass standard light?
Old 01 March 2014, 12:06 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

crap/bent connection on the bulb holder
Old 01 March 2014, 12:10 PM
Tobias Olsson
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
crap/bent connection on the bulb holder
I used the exactly the same bulbholder when i tried the led and the glasslamp, and also on the glasslamps i bended out metal pieces that conect the bulb to the holder, if it was bad contact but no good.
Old 01 March 2014, 10:02 PM
Tobias Olsson
Scooby Regular

Decided to stay with led bulb in the "oilpressure" place becuse its the only bulb thats working there, but thanks for input guys